Feed needed for 3 year welsh d x?

staceyemma1986

Sep 9, 2020
Hello I recently hit myself a gorgeous boy who’s three years old.
He’s not in the best condition and you can see his ribs (not hugely) but he looks out of condition.

his previous owner said he was a good doer etc

I’m wondering is it safe for me to feed him a small amount of feed & supplements to get him looking good and healthy

I spoke to a few people who have recommended Dodson and horrell Suregrow in small
Quantities as he is still bum high and some filling out and growing To do yet.

what would you recommend?
can anyone help

Attachments

• 21ECA220-E0E3-4CF1-A7B9-AC65CBC54BE9.jpeg
    21ECA220-E0E3-4CF1-A7B9-AC65CBC54BE9.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9
Is that a youngstock balancer? if so then feeding to the recommended amount will ensure he gets all his vits and mins, and if it isn't then I'd find a balancer rather than a feed.

Are his teeth up to date, and have you had a FEC done?

Bear in mind he's bum high at the moment and that can make them look ribby and poor when in reality they're ok. Also, despite what you see in the show ring, it isn't good for youngsters to be well covered as it puts more pressure on developing joints. Obviously you don't want him poor, but don't fall into the trap of trying to get a 3 yo looking like a mature cob, it really isn't good for him.

Sure grow is a pretty good balancer, I believe it’s important for babies to get something like this to support their growth without unnaturally accelerating it. I’ve just got a 2yo welsh x and have him on spillers balancer.

I would definitely echo it’s better for a baby to be a bit runny than fat, it is often an optical illusion that they are skinny and it’s just their growth pattern, have you done a proper Body Condition Score to see how he is all over?

newrider.com