Feed - more hard feed than hay last winter and they thrived - why?

Esther.D

Jan 3, 2003
Shetland!
maenoferren.mysite.freeserve.com
Last winter the farmer suggested we feed the ponies the same way as he does his stock. Giving them a moderate amount of hard feed every day and hay only when there was snow on the ground or it was frozen solid (not Pablo he got more hay) . Bear in mind they are on 60 acres of moorland so there was always some grazing available even in the depth of winter.

They thrived on this regime and were really fit and healthy and wintered better than they had the previous year - any idea why? It is against the usual rules of feeding.....Is it because the moorland provided extra forage all year round that a lowland pasture might not have done? Any ideas?

They were getting a generous carrier bag full of pasture mix between 6 (so not a huge amount of hard feed but more than I have fed in the past) but hardly any hay. They also got a certain amount of barley and sheep nuts that they stole off the sheep :rolleyes:

- Just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon while everyone else was posting about feeds:D

Last edited:
Well, if there was fiber available, why would you need to feed hay? They had access to grass, all they needed was the additional nutrition that dried winter grass couldn't give them. Or am I missing something? :)

Interesting question and one which I have been wondering about as well. My horses live outside 24/7 and with it been winter here they are having a moderate amount of hard feed as well as a biscuit of hay each.
It will be another month or so before the grass really grows again and I am wondering do I feed another biscuit of hay or going to an extra feed to maintain their weight? Price wise it is not going to make much difference and I wouldn't normally think about it and would just go to extra hay but I have heard if similar experiences to Esther.

I myself think it's good to give as much fiber as is reasonable, and supplement with concentrated stuff only if the horse's condition calls for it. If they're already eating as much hay as they can (time constraints), then they may need more concentrate to keep them in good shape...but if they can fit more hay/grass in their diet, then I'd give that first.

newrider.com