Feed allergy- shown as a cough?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Anyone know if an allergy to a certain feed can show up as a cough?

Shay has been absolutely fine since he has moved fields and had no feed or hay, just grass, last night he had some fiberbeet and chaff and this morning he wasnt looking right and coughed a few times.

I had the vet out a few months ago when it first started and he said it was a dust allergy brought on by the new batch of hay from new suppliers, he was changed onto haylage and he was a little better, he was stabled at night and it wasnt too bad but he was coughing occasionally, then we turned everyone out 24/7 and he actually got worse, I assumed it was because the snow started and he was getting hay/haylage 3/4 times a day.

I stopped giving him chaff and he was on lots of sugarbeet and some mix to see if he was better, he was still on hay/haylage at the time, his cough as better but he was still coughing occasionally, and coughed when I rode him, something that he had never done before.

He was then moved down to the new field with the others and has been out 24/7 with no hay or feed, and he has been fine.

I can tell when hes not right as his breathing gets quite heavy and his breaths are very prominent when looking at his sides.

Im wondering if he could have an allergy to a certain type of grass that is in his chaff and hay, but the dengie say alfalfa is in hifi light.

I noticed the same when I owned him and had a full vet check done on him as at times he would be very breathless. 2 different vets diagnosed him with COPD which was made worse by dust. He never had chaff with me and would have all feeds watered down a lot. Didn't have any problems once I'd moved him to the field he was at before Hayz took him on. Traffic dust affects him too so if your near lorries etc it could be that

newrider.com