Feathers care cob

Mrs and Miss Bump

Miss Bump on Hattie
Feb 9, 2016
We (grandma and grandaughter) are the new owners of a 3 yr old cob. We have had her 3 weeks and have never owned a pony before.

So can I get some advice on care of the feathers?

Do I use pig oil on em to stop the mud sticking. Do I just rub it on? Do I comb out carefully to prevent them braking?

Her feathers are quite matted looking at the moment and certainly need some care. She will be going out alternate days over the next few weeks as we are about to change yards as currently she's only out once a day.

Many thanks

Need to build our confidence!!!!!

Just rub it in with your hands and leave it, the muck will eventually drop out
@Gimp DO you have photos of Rosie's legs next to Harvey,. One which pig oil and sulphur and one without?

I apply pig oil and sulphur with a paint brush. I pull up the hair and push in underneath. Leave to work. At the moment I apply a couple of times a week. The sulphur is for mite control. Which hairies can be more prone to. So if its just mud and knots you could just oil. I don't brush mine on his legs as it makes my horses hairs more brittle. However if yours is really knotted as you say then maybe apply the oil and then next day brush through.

this is the ones I have not that clear! but Rosie my new pony on the left, her feathers have gone.. all been bog burnt off. Harvey on the right, is owner applies pig oil and sulpher and has lovely feathers. ( they are wet so not as gorgeous as usual!) but they are there!

I use pig oil and sulphur monthly on my horse. I cover his legs in it and then really massage it deep into the skin. It's great stuff, really works.

I should do mine more often :unsure: but when hosing my horses legs off last night I noticed his feathers around the base of his legs have burnt off :oops:

Pig and Sulphur is magic stuff! I buy mine pre mixed to save space.

newrider.com