Feathers ?

Connie and ponies

Oct 3, 2020
8968120E-B82F-49B5-83E0-56D6D5B17FE6.jpegDoes anyone have any tips on getting your cobs feathers gleaming white for a show, this is my cob x shire mare (she is more of your lean , muscles, jumping , very speedy cob )

• Love
Reactions: carthorse
sha20180721_111249.jpgTAS_1416d copy.jpg

Shampoo well with whitening shampoo and use leggings to dry off and keep clean. You may have to do this a couple of times. Night before apply chalk abundantly to feathers and put on leggings to keep in place. At the show remove leggings, comb and fluff up feathers, touch up any stains.

Pig oil and sulphur regularly to help maintain whiteness. Though no sulphur before you go to the show, lest application a couple of days before.

Ive herad people use washing up liquid.
Whitening shampoos that are purple in colour.
Tomato ketchup. Think its its something to do with the acidic nature of it.

My lads both have white feathers but i dont show. My old boys stay fairly white now as he doesnt run round much these days. My youngsters are always dirty but i just use pig oil and sulphur regularly which helps.

Pig oil and sulphur regularly to help maintain whiteness. Though no sulphur before you go to the show, lest application a couple of days before.

My lads both have white feathers but i dont show. My old boys stay fairly white now as he doesnt run round much these days. My youngsters are always dirty but i just use pig oil and sulphur regularly which helps.
I use the purple whitening shampoo on his legs and shampoo for black horses on the rest of him, we use a lot of chalk and a comb to fluff but we tend to leave the chalk in overnight then put some more on under his leggings and do the final fluff just before he goes in.

My lads both have white feathers but i dont show. My old boys stay fairly white now as he doesnt run round much these days. My youngsters are always dirty but i just use pig oil and sulphur regularly which helps. Thanks so much ❤️

Your mare is beautiful! Tell us a bit about her, how old is she, how big is she, what do you do apart from showing? I love her dapples :)

Your mare is beautiful! Tell us a bit about her, how old is she, how big is she, what do you do apart from showing? I love her dapples :)
Thnakyou so much ❤️, bellah is a 14.2hh cob x shire mare , we hack , Jump , xc , school and show , her dapples are amazing and she had the nicest coat ever ❤️❤️

She is indeed gorgeous. I can't help with the feather whitening - I have a hairy cob, but his are mainly black, and the little white he has on hinds, I'm afraid stay quite grubby, as all we do is hack. I'm sure you do it anyway, but I find his feathers stay cleaner if I brush every day, using the "Silky" de tangler. It seems to keep some of the grime off.

Whatever you are already doing looks to be working.
What classes are you aiming at? You might find the overall picture would be smarter in tweed.

Whatever you are already doing looks to be working.
What classes are you aiming at? You might find the overall picture would be smarter in tweed.
Yeah I have a tweed jacket now it was being dry cleaned that day , I am doing best condition , best handler and ridden sports horse / pony ❤️

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's harder to keep hind feather white on a mare than a gelding..... purely because of the dynamics of their excretions and the fact that mares come into season every three weeks for a lot of the year! I've given up trying to get my traddie mare's tail white and have made my peace with the yellow ? We don't show anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's harder to keep hind feather white on a mare than a gelding..... purely because of the dynamics of their excretions and the fact that mares come into season every three weeks for a lot of the year! I've given up trying to get my traddie mare's tail white and have made my peace with the yellow ? We don't show anyway.
Yeah , we show a lot every year and do have ways of getting them gleaming white was just wondering if anyone Knew any other remedies , she doesn’t tend to get yellow feathers one bit , her feathers are white every day of the week , accept when she goes in the field , we have been offered up to 4K for her because of her looks and her hairy aspects ❤️

Just gonna give the other people with traditional cobs , COCONUT OIL is my go to thing for mane and tail growth , my cob rubs the top of her tail out and I apply some coconut oil to the top of it and I can assure you by next Sunday when I am showing she will have a lovely tail ❤️

Just gonna give the other people with traditional cobs , COCONUT OIL is my go to thing for mane and tail growth , my cob rubs the top of her tail out and I apply some coconut oil to the top of it and I can assure you by next Sunday when I am showing she will have a lovely tail ❤️
Thanks for the tip, I might try that on my youngster's tail. He's a Highland x Cob x TB and he has a massive tail like your lovely lady's but he does like to rub the top! Does it work for manes too? How do you apply?

Thanks for the tip, I might try that on my youngster's tail. He's a Highland x Cob x TB and he has a massive tail like your lovely lady's but he does like to rub the top! Does it work for manes too? How do you apply?
Yep manes too , put gloves on if you don’t want greasy hands and just rub it into the tail xx

Mine has been cleaner since since only has the boyfriend. :)

newrider.com