feather mites

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
Has anyone tried this: Diaguard® Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Natural Insect Control 2kg to control feather mites?

No - but the only thing I really had much success with was either lifting up a complete circle of hair around each lower leg and spraying with frontline spray for dogs/cats etc., making absolutely sure it contacted with the skin. Or if they are really heavily feathered then clipping a line right around the leg? I also treated with Ivectemin wormer at the same time, and repeated all the above 2 weeks later. It worked for me.

Thanks for the tips, the only thing puts me off using frontline spray is she has some scabbing and i would worry it may irritate the skin?? Her feathers have been completely clipped but i have been told it has been a long on going problem with her. I think i will try the diaguard first and if it fails go down the same path as you cortrasna.

Have you looked at dectomax injections? They get good reviews.

As for the diatoms earth, it is in any powder too and I use it on the chickens as a preventative - it doesn't kill red mites just deters them - don't know about feather mites. I too wormed and front lined the chickens (I used the drops that you use on the dog)... Not sure whether you could scale up for horses in how I scaled down for chickens? Lol

Yes i also heard of dectomax but was hoping for a more natural remedy.
Although her comfort will be my priority so if diaguard doesnt work i will have to look at all other options.
I heard of someone using frontiline for large dogs but they had to use a pipette per leg on horse? and i think they had to repeat it at 3 week intervals so it was costly

Why do they have to be so hard to get rid off :stomp:

Yes i also heard of dectomax but was hoping for a more natural remedy.
Although her comfort will be my priority so if diaguard doesnt work i will have to look at all other options.
I heard of someone using frontiline for large dogs but they had to use a pipette per leg on horse? and i think they had to repeat it at 3 week intervals so it was costly

Why do they have to be so hard to get rid off :stomp:

I used a pipette a leg for my horse and then another dose for each leg ten days later once the eggs had hatched. Since then, I regularly use pig oil and sulphur every eight weeks once the farrier has been as a preventative. I found this the least expensive and intrusive way of dealing with it after using the vet for dectomax and trying all sorts of lotions and potions. I don't think four pipettes of frontline is that expensive.

I was going to mention pig oil and sulpher and perhaps changing from straw if you use it. Soak the hay if you don't already. Harvest mites were more of a pest for mine.

Another one who uses Frontline followed up with pig oil. I have the Frontline in a spray bottle from the vet, so much easier to apply than using a pipette.

Our vets make up their own lotion - maybe worth asking yours if they do similar? Our Chloe has had the injections but they didn't really work. In the kit that I have from the vet there is Seleen shampoo - which I do know helps mud fever.

Luckily the little bliters left us alone this year.

I have used front line in the past but found the pipetts too hard to apply, the spray was easier for me but had to tell my vets it was for my dog as they wont let you have it for your horse and they were getting a bit suspicious !

The injection did a good job, 1 injection at beginning of the warm weather seemed to do the trick for us.

Good luck shifting them

an update: we clipped her feathers again and vet came out as she was due her booster injection, he had a look and gave me a small bottle of imaverol which he has made up himself, i think it is quite concentrated and it stinks. He said to apply it with cottonwool on the backs of hind legs daily getting into all the grooves. I have been doing this for just over a week and i am on my second bottle, their is a definite improvement, she is no longer stomping or chewing:dance: i have also been applying botanica cream to any scabs, but once i am finished the lotion i think i will start rubbing in the diaguard powder as a preventitive.

I must say i was very sceptical about the imaverol as i always believed it was just for ringworm but i am glad i went along with his advice:wink:

newrider.com