Feather Mites

Pluto

Dec 31, 2008
Not sure if this is in the right section......my horse suffers with feather mites does anyone have any suggestions or remedies? Thanks

Hi we have used Frontline in the past the spray version and it worked a treat, but its not liscened for horses even though it was a vet that suggested it.

He's had the dectomax jabs for the last 18 months, however they seem not to be working now, also been down the route of pig oil and sulphur which is messy and still no real improvement, anyone with any other suggestions? Cant try Frontline spray as he hates any form of sprayer

Oh my, what a poor boy... both of those ideas were mine too.

I can barely believe I'm going to suggest it because I'm usually dead-set against but I think it may be an idea to clip his feathers off:eek: If the Dectomax isn't working and the PO&S isn't keeping it at bay either, clipping them off completely and starting again may be a good option. At least you will be able to see what you are dealing with when all the hair is gone. They will grow back too... in time....

My old mare didnt tolerate the spray either - but clipped all her feathers off - sprayed the frontline onto a small sponge and then squeezed it all over her newly shorn legs - hey presto problem of several years solved. Then grew the feathers back but always used P&O after that and never had the problem again.

My old mare didnt tolerate the spray either - but clipped all her feathers off - sprayed the frontline onto a small sponge and then squeezed it all over her newly shorn legs - hey presto problem of several years solved. Then grew the feathers back but always used P&O after that and never had the problem again.
Ha! That was the hopeful logic behind my suggestion... a sort of "wipe the slate clean and start from scratch" scenario.....

Don't want to clip his feathers off, a friend suggested 'foot stamp' by global herbs, its a leg wash, so will give that a try in the next week or so and let you know how we get on. Thanks for your replies

You could put the fontline on with a cloth one of ours hates spray you can turn the nozzle to a dribble. Now we just use sulphur and pigoil as a preventative.

Equimins do a mite spray. I've found that MORE effective than the injection. does come in a spray bottle but you could easily decant it and simply wipe/brush through feathers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-litres-Pig-...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2a08274b5f

This is where I got mine. They make it up themselves so its not packaged professionally but does the job. I don't know much but its Flower of Sulphur whatever that it, so not the smell you're thinking of!!
I am patiently waiting my boy having his feet done before I wash his legs down and give it a go again, (his legs will be greasy for a few days afterwards). I've noticed he's itching his back legs recently. Hopefully once its on, I will just have to reapply every 4-6 weeks, not having to rewash cause once its on the first time I'm reliably informed that his feathers will be kept nice and silky thereafter.

Coopers can treat mites I do believe.

Can get various powders too.

You can use the frontline pipettes also.

Doesn't have to be the spray.

Pig Oil and Sulphur - I get mine from my local tack shop, its not ready mixed I buy it separately and then mix it myself: its 1 litre of oil to 2 cupped handfulls of sulphur. Be ware it is not garden sulphur but pharmaceutical grade sulphur - it is a yellow colour.

**UPDATE**
Just to update you all, I am trying the 'Foot Stamp' wash from Global Herbs, so far, so good (only used it for 2 days). My boy has stopped stamping his feet and seems not to be so itchy. It does work out expensive as I have to wash his legs with it every night for a week and then wash it off in the morning, after the initial week its just once or twice for maintenance, but if it works (fingers crossed) it will be worth it.

newrider.com