Feather, mites, jabs, and chewing...

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Hello, a mate has a lovely hairy cob at my yard. His feather was all clipped off last year, because he had mites and was uncomfortable and chewing his legs. He then had an anti-mite jab. And my friend decided to regrow his feather.

He’s now chewing holes in his feather like he did last year.

She’s desperate not to have to clip them off again because she shows him. And doesn’t want to hog him (I believe if you clip their feather, their mane should be hogged).

Any tried and tested remedies for feather mites? Would it be feather mites even though he’s been jabbed? He’s in the same absolute bog of a field that my boy is in. :(

You guys always seem so knowledgeable about this stuff. Thanks. :)

Right. I'll tell you what HASN'T worked for Gracie so far....

- Vet Dectomax injections
- Dermoline Insecticidal Shampoo
- Lime Plus wash from the vet
- Selsun shampoo

At the mo we are trying weekly PO&S applications and I still haven't tried neem oil or diamataceous earth.

Reactions: HaloHoney
The injection only lasts a few months up to a season, and often you need 2 a month apart for it to work, so even if done last year he would need another this year. Worming with ivermectin can help and insecticidal shampoo can, its a bit trial and error though.

My two have them. I haven't detomaxed but have heard it needs doing regular.
I just use pig oil and sulphur. @domane you might need to do a couple of times a week if it's breaks out bad. Once a week I find is sometimes not enough.
I've used ivermectin cattle wormer and applied direct on the leg. But it didn't work. I've also done a double dose of ivermectin horse wormer but that didn't do anything either.

Right, I’ll tell you what has always worked for me lol!!

1. If there’s an itch, pretend you have two very large German shepherd type dogs and buy four pipettes of spot on treatment for them. Apply one pipette per leg from the knee down, making sure you part the hair and get in right to the skin.
2. REPEAT THIS PROCESS TEN DAYS LATER, with another four pipettes. The reason being is that the now dead mites, will have layen eggs and this is now to Kill those babies.
3. Wash legs and dry a day or so later, fill a fairy washing up liquid bottle with pig oil and sulphur, apply to the skin from knee down, making sure you rub it in to the skin specifically, let the feather take care of itself.
4. Repeat pig oiling and sulphur after every farrier visit (I do it once every eight or so weeks on this basis) and they will never come back.

I was done with dectomax and vets and was sure there was an easier way. I’ve never had to clip hair off, and never had any problems since.
If you just try pig oil to get rid of them, I’m sure you just incubate the problem. The spot on treatment needs to be done before hand, and then the pig oil is a preventative.
I’ve also heard folk use frontline spray, but need to get that from vets and while you can lie about dog ownership to a pet shop, I’m sure you might not be so comfortable doing it with a vet.

Reactions: MrA and HaloHoney
We've had great success with the injection on two horses at my yard. Both had it twice a certain amount of time apart and they also had something they could apply to their legs inbetween aswell. Sorry I can't be more specific! Best of luck to them though it's not easy to treat it seems

I’ve also heard folk use frontline spray, but need to get that from vets and while you can lie about dog ownership to a pet shop, I’m sure you might not be so comfortable doing it with a vet.
My horse vet prescribed me a big bottle for Jess years ago, no problem :)

@domane tried DT earth on a friends cob, doesnt work :( unless we didnt do it properly.

dectomax jabs need to be two 6 weeks apart.

pig oil and sulphur, lather the legs in it snd comb through a fine tooth comb, and wash after each comb, doesnt clear it just loosens them from clinging on and then the oil stops them being able to grip (what another friend did)

the jabs worked for my cob when i got him.

stable bedding and hay needs to be thrown, stables disinfected, rugs washed, brushes cleaned

stable bedding and hay needs to be thrown, stables disinfected, rugs washed, brushes cleaned

He lives out on grass, but I will suggest she does her brushes with insecticide.

Thanks!

She used the spot-on pipettes yesterday and pig-oiled his feather.

He lives out on grass, but I will suggest she does her brushes with insecticide.

Thanks!

She used the spot-on pipettes yesterday and pig-oiled his feather.
If she did them together the spot on wont work unfortunatly. Lots of people reccomend the pig oil though

If you’re following my suggestion then you shouldn’t have pig oiled immediately after using the spot on treatment. You need to wait ten days, repeat the spot on and THEN pig oil a couple of days after. All you do is incubate the problem if you add the pig oil immediately. Pig oil is a preventative, it coats the skin and stops mites from getting in there. But it might also stop them from dropping off if you put it on too early. I generally watch out for my horse having stopped stamping and itching and then when I know it’s all cleared up, that’s when I apply the pig oil.

If you’re following my suggestion then you shouldn’t have pig oiled immediately after using the spot on treatment. You need to wait ten days, repeat the spot on and THEN pig oil a couple of days after. All you do is incubate the problem if you add the pig oil immediately. Pig oil is a preventative, it coats the skin and stops mites from getting in there. But it might also stop them from dropping off if you put it on too early. I generally watch out for my horse having stopped stamping and itching and then when I know it’s all cleared up, that’s when I apply the pig oil.

Ahh will let her know. He’s chewing his feather which is the main problem- I think it was more as a possible deterrent to him chewing, and also the field is more like a 9” deep swamp...

I will let her know. You guys have been v helpful. Thank you so much!

Managed to get a pic of said hairy cob today.

He’s a handsome chap. With a brilliant moustache. :D

You can see why she doesn’t want to have to clip him- this is his feather after a year of regrowth. Here’s hoping something works. 978D44B3-C81F-428D-A599-45EB4E65D920.jpeg

Gorgeous!! I always think it’s those anti hair folk that are quickest to suggest clippers. They actually serve a function to protect those gorgeous legs, just need to get them working for him instead of getting in the way! Good luck to them both.

Is he stabled? If yes I'd recommend ditching the straw. You could also have harvest mites and any urine left on the legs might irritate.

That photo looks like she has suffered with bog burn though. Depending on when she plans to show that might not grow back in time.

We spot on as a yard, probably four times a year. The vet makes it up for us based on how many of us there are and we split the cost.

I also keep the feathers trimmed because a hot moulting horse will itch and will bite what itches.
If mines starts I wash with Dermoline and she stops the next day, for us its usually because she has been in season, piddled and the flies are irritating. Also if they get too muddy and are not able to be fully dried and brushed off that gets her stamping because it's hard clay soil.

This was taken two days ago, with the rain last night she didn't come in this clean.
But the white always grows nicer than her blacks.

PicsArt_04-07-07.18.05.jpg

newrider.com