Favourite time

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
:)
Just wondering what everyone's favourite time is yard wise? Even though mine are at home, I still relish the complete peacefulness of either last thing at night or really early morning (I still have neighbours that are early risers). This morning was lovely, I was woken to Storm hollering for me to get up - she was stood with her nose pressed up against the caravan bedroom window, so of course I shot up and shuffled into my wellies to give breakfasts. It was just so quiet and peaceful - feeding the pheasants and other birds and then sweeping the yard. Most of the sheep were lying down in the field next door and it was like everyone knew it was a Sunday morning. I love riding early too, no sign of anyone, no noisy lost walkers, no nosey neighbours just Storm and Chloe and me (OH still zzzzzz in bed at this point).
Later on at night I love it too - reminds me of time on a yard, as I was always the last one to leave and used enjoy the quiet and listening to the munching:D
Sunday morning was not good for me yard wise at it was heaving with lessons and I couldn't use the school or hack (car park was a nightmare of bitchy-resting faced mothers all reversing and huffing and puffing into their Range Rovers:p)
So, what are your favourite yard times? Quiet? Busy and lots going on? Which do you prefer?

Reactions: squidsin

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I love it in winter when there is no-one else around and it is all peaceful. All you can hear is the rhythmic chewing of hay and the occasional step sideways or snort. Gorgeous....

Reactions: Trewsers

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I'm quite a loner so I love it early in the morning when no one else is around or last thing at night which has so far never been a problem on any yard I've been on as I'm always the first in the morning and last at night. I too love the munching hay sound of peaceful ponios at night.
I absolutely hate all the constant chatter on busy yards or yards full of giggling teenage girls! I think I'm going to join Cortrasna's 'grumpy old nag' club!

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Another quiet time fan... Had our first frost last night, nothing nicer than coming home from work utterly exhausted and sitting in the field whilst I have some breakfast - the best way to switch off to get some sleep after

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I thought it might just be me being anti-social! Lol but it seems quite a few of us like quiet. Don't get me wrong, there were times on a yard with other folk that I liked, but I did enjoy peace too.
Thankfully when our "people" come to stay here, either short or long term they will be completely separate and we will still have privacy. I think the other thing that appeals to me about early morning or late night is they are two times I can guarantee MIL free as she does not drive in the dark nor does she "do" mornings:p

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I enjoy the hustle and bustle of weekends at the yard. Everyone is always ready to stop for a chat and a cuppa and then I'm fortunate that I can go there on weekdays when it is deserted and pootle around uninterrupted. Win:win.

Reactions: squidsin

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I enjoy the hustle and bustle of weekends at the yard. Everyone is always ready to stop for a chat and a cuppa and then I'm fortunate that I can go there on weekdays when it is deserted and pootle around uninterrupted. Win:win.

I hated weekends on the yard, but only cos I struggled to get in the school. It was busy most of the day with lessons and then it was a mad dash to get tacked up and riding. In the end I figured it was just easier to wait until everyone had gone home, even if it meant getting home late.
I liked seeing my yard friends, and it was nice as we had a restaurant on site too, whereby I could scoff cake and coffee:D But I often wished the school was less full.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I love first thing in the morning too. Love watching the sun rise over ales field. And if its summer the birds start singing or in winter can just watch ale munching contently on his hay out there. I love foggy mornings too, love taking photos in the morning on my days off. 10406499_10154193795625156_7127075382334102900_n.jpg 63710_10153581815745156_736274214_n.jpg

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Another anti-social one here! My favourite time on the yard is basically any time there's no liveries around. I like them and all, but they always want to.... you know... talk, and stuff.

Reactions: No_Angel

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm another for quiet time, but that's all the time at my place, the best time is when I have no where to be and to just sit watching the ponies graze with a coffee.

When on a yard I liked last thing at night, ponies tucked in to the American style barn, munching hay contentedly, when it's cold outside and all snug inside.

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I'm another who loves quiet times. Unfortunately our yard has some livery workers so it's rarely completely empty. Very first thing I often bump into another owner who also works from home and loves to ride first thing, but she is lovely.

Generally the best time to not see anyone at my yard is around 2pm when the livery workers have finished and gone home/lunch and most other owners are in work!

I can't go up late anymore as after 5:30 I'm on baby duty, but that's ok as tbh I quite like being at home in the evenings.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I like to have mixture. I do love it when it's just Ben and I at the yard, especially when I am pushed for time as I can spend time with him without having to waste my precious time talking to people.

But when I have more time I do like being more sociable. I have recently started hacking out with a few other people and have discovered that I can ride and talk at the same time - never used to be able to relax enough to hold a conversation.

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Love it in the morning here when I can walk round in my onesie and see my ponies without worrying that anyone will see me (occasionally the farmer next door is on the hill but haven't seen him yet when I have been in my onesie lol).

I also love standing on the yard at night whilst the dogs are having their last toilet break and looking up at the stars, fab! :D

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Love it in the morning here when I can walk round in my onesie and see my ponies without worrying that anyone will see me (occasionally the farmer next door is on the hill but haven't seen him yet when I have been in my onesie lol).

I also love standing on the yard at night whilst the dogs are having their last toilet break and looking up at the stars, fab! :D

Be careful in your onsie, lol, I once got up on a lazy Saturday morning in my pjs and wellies with just baseball cap on, no hair-done or anything like that. Everything was going well until the farrier turned up (I had forgotten) :oops: You try retaining any shred of dignity whilst holding horses with your bare feet slipping inside your wellies and your pjs shrieking loudly (well that's how it felt!) oh the shame........

Reactions: Jessey