favourite summer riding hat???

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
I'm currently riding using my gatehouse hat although used to have a jte hat I used in summer and that I felt cooler in. I love the gorgeous weather but hate my head feeling hot, Ive decided to invest in a new hat. I quite like some from the caldene range, my friend has a nice decathlon one too(don't know much about them and seemed cheaply priced), in fact there are quite a few I like and so wondered if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations? Just want a comfy hat thats nice and cool and decently made.x

I was thinking this too tho I doubt if I would stop wearing my Gatehouse HS1. But thinking of travelling with our riding kit for trail riding, I looked at lighter cheaper ones and saw gatehouse now do one of those - ventilated and adjustable fit. It is in the Rideaway catalogue - I mean to try one on, as that brand fits me - But dont let me recommend anyone changing to a less protective hat. A rather senior RI told me years ago he couldnt suggest my reducing my protection.

Reactions: tikkitti
I have a JTE one with vents, it definitely cooler than my old skull cap and I wore it for 8 hours or so a few days last year in 27oC temps

Anyone got a caldene ultra or lumos? These are the two I quite fancy as a summer hat but may end up buying another jte.

Anyone got a caldene ultra or lumos? These are the two I quite fancy as a summer hat but may end up buying another jte.
Try the caldene before you buy tikkitti, I wear gatehouse and it fits my head shape great, but the caldene I had while comfy when I tired it on, was horribly uncomfortable after about ten minutes.
I hadn't even thought about having a summer and winter hat. think i'll stick with my gatehouse conquest all year round, hat hair is just something I'll have to put up with in the summer. :)

Gatehouse RXC1 has vents. It also has a removable lining which can be washed which is an absolute god-send for someone like me who gets very sweaty! The protection it offers is one of the highest (if not the highest) standards.

I have the Caldene Lumos and I am very happy with it in winter, but unfortunately it isn't cool enough for me in summer. I am probably going to get another Troxel Sierra - I loved my last one and only changed it as it was at least five years old.

I have UVEX and love it, never got a hot head yet.

I know I go on about this all the time but please remember if you are buying a new hat the rules are changing. So if you take part in any Riding club/pony club/BHS riding school/ BD/BE/BJS as from Jan 16 your new hat may not be covered.

Check out any of the main websites for the full rule changes.

If you are just a happy hacker you can still wear the other hats but if you have lessons check you will be covered.

I'm going to get a new one for competing as a birthday prezzie due to the safety changes. This hat will just be used for hacking and lessons with freelance ai too:) my problem is my hair is long and thick and in summer its hot enough without having a hat on for hours. Theres so many hats to choose from, its like a minefield. Loved my jte but fancied a change. May go to our local saddlery superstore at the weekend and have a good look and try on. Thanks everyone for all your info and suggestions it will help me whittle my options down.x

My summer hat is the same one that fits in winter.
I have a skull shaped head so which hats could I change to realistically?

My winter hat is a Gatehouse HS1 like Skib's and I have a Gatehouse shaped head, but it's so ugly and heavy! I bought the kids' size Gatehouse Cool Rider (or was it the Air Rider?) a couple of years ago and I have to say I haven't worn my HS1 since.

newrider.com