Favourite horsey books / dvd's?

Pegasus

Dec 6, 2005
North West
Question in the title really? Can be entertaining, instructional or whatever.

My favourite book is Lusitano Horse - Son of the Wind by Arsénio Raposo Cordeiro. Very beautiful book and fantastic if your into lusitanos. The most useful book i own is 101 Schooling exercises by Jaki Bell. Loads of fun exercises ... I just need to actually start trying them out :rolleyes:

Favourite DVD ... Hmmm I think i need to expand my DVD collection. The Funnel Factor is very funny in places, especially when William does dressage :D

Films = Hidalgo, Black Beauty, Sea biscuit, the horse whisperer and *hangs head in shame* Spirit;Stallion of the Cimmaron. :D

Not sure about books, you've got me thinking now!
Oooh a book I do like is 'Horse, Follow Closely : Native American Horsemanship' by GaWaNi Pony Boy
In my opinion its horse training that makes sense

Favourite Horsey film has got to be National Velvet 2. I'd love to be an eventer. It's a shame I don't really do jumping :eek:

I'm a Jinny at Finmory fam :D I've got several first editions in my collection and when I have some spare cash again, I'll be trying to track down the rest.
I still have a book case of horsey books in my spare room, from Kestrels to Misty of Chincoteague, the Silver Brumby to My Friend Flicka. All books are duly followed by their sequels :D Non fiction, my favourite is Buying and Re-training the Ex Racehorse. It's my bible!

My favourite films are:
Black Beauty
Seabiscuit
Hidalgo
The Horse Whisperer
The Black Stallion

I have to say I was disappointed with how Flicka was pulled to pieces and glued back together again :( It was very much a childhood favourite of mine. I am planning to make my OH sit through "Dreamer", though :D

I've thought and I've thought, but I don't have any equine non-fiction in my DVD cabinet... perhaps it's time for me to drag myself from the world of fantasy and find something to watch!

Oh yes and the Black Stallion. Thats a lush film.
All horse films make me cry. Its involuntary. ;)

The Black Stallion is my fav film and im so sad ive ordered it of Amazon and the Black Stallion Returns but that Arabian is just gorgous:D:D

I used to love Black Beauty as well and do you remember the theme tune lol

I watched Flika the other day that was okay quite sad i had a tear in my eye lol

All them horsey films are sad at some point though oh god I better make sure the OH is not there when i watch the Black Stallion he will wonder what the hell is going on:D:D

One of my favourite horse books is a tiny Observers pocket guide to horses and Ponies, circa 1945 - its fascinating as a lot of the breeds in there have changed somewhat.
I have a DVD - its part of a series, can't remember extact title, but its an instructional one showing the horses skelleton - its painted up to show the muscles etc, all very interesting.
For a fictional read you can't beat a good **** Francis or Jenny Pitman tho!!!!

Edited to add: don't know why its bleeped me out ok, I'll try again D I C K Francis!lol

Favourite Films - Black Beauty (makes me cry :(), Dreamer, Seabiscuit, Racing Stripes :D

Books - War horse, Liked the 'Heartland' series, 'Half Moon Ranch' Series, 'Blind Beauty' is also an amazing book.

ETA: Thought of two other books; The Silver Brumby (probably my all time favourite :)) and Black Beauty's Family.

Last edited:
Favorite book - Silver Snaffles by Primrose Cummins. I read it when I was a child and really loved it.:eek::eek: Really worth a read if you can find a copy - I think it's out of print now.

Black Beauty is another favorite, although I found it so sad I couldn't stop crying:(

newrider.com