favourite foods from your region

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Yay it's lunchtime :dance:

Just had the most delicious fresh baguette with Normandy butter, spreadable boursin cheese, and a chunk of last night's roast lamb from a local farm. It reminded me how much I love French food! What is your favourite food & drink from your current and/or past local regions?

From Cornwall where I grew up my favourites would have to be Cornish pasties (obviously!), and Cornish clotted cream, and hevva cake, Cornish fairings (biscuits) and clotted cream shortbread, clotted cream fudge (see the theme?!), Cornish brie. Oh, and Helford Creek apple juice!

In Italy I lived in a region called Emilia Romagna and its two local specialities are two of my all-time favourite foods - Parmesan cheese and Parma ham (prosciutto). I also loved gnocci and polenta, erbazzone, focaccia bread, mortadella sausage, and most Italian cheeses.

My favourite foods in the Algarve were mostly regional dishes made with freshly-caught seafood and local meats (especially salted pork). LOVE grilled sardines (must have been caught that day though, and must be grilled whole!), caldo verde which is a cabbage soup, bacalhau (a dish with potatoes and shredded cod), Portuguese chorizo. Oh and the desserts, the Portuguese do various forms of custard tarts, rice pudding and mousses, 3 of my all-time favourite dessert types.

And then here in Normandy my favourites are baguettes (can't beat a fresh baguette at lunchtime!), croissants, local veal, coquilles saint jaques (scallops!), Pont l'eveque and Neufchatel cheese, galettes (savoury pancakes eaten at lunchtime, though they are strictly from Brittany but are very popular here) - ooh and the salted lamb from the bay of Saint Michel.

I am actually drooling on my keyboard :bounce:

Well I haven't lived in as many places as you have, Joosie, but I like pretty well all the foods on your list. Here in Dorset, well, there's Dorset Knobs and Blue Vinny cheese - those are the traditional specialities, I suppose - some very good local beers, cream teas - maybe the idea is borrowed from Devon and Cornwall, but definitely part of the Dorset landscape. Then there are some newer ones, Purbeck ice cream, Dorset Cereals muesli from Dorchester, and Chococo chocolates from Swanage - they've been here 10 years now, and they're the best chocolates in the world. Then of course we've got our own local shellfish, especially mussels, crabs and scallops and oysters too ... Will that do for starters?

. Dorset Cereals muesli from Dorchester,?

I am a fan of dorset cereals.. they are so yummy & delicious but a tad expensive so i only tend to buy when i see them of offer..

Joosie to answer your question i am from oldham originally and cant think of anything delicious local delicacies (unless you count a donner kebab as one :redface::ninja:)

I lived on the Isle Of Man for 8 years or so and since it was an island fish was a bit of a local speciality - the manx have a penchant for queenies (these are similar to scallops but teeny in comparison) and a lot of people like to have them with a creamy sauce and bacon. Kippers are also very popular on the island.
There is also a shop in Peel that smokes kippers/bacon which again are popular , and there are also sweets that go by the name of manx knobs :giggle:. These are basically hard boiled sweets.

pe002.jpg

In yorkshire there are a brand of crisps that go by the name "Yorkshire Crisps" which are delicious.. I am not sure if they are nationwide or not but they are similar to kettle chip but in my humble opinion are much nicer :smile:

ETA -also spent a year in Australia and had some of the nicest apples i have ever had.. They were big, and so juicy . Infact what fruit (poor traveller) i did have was beautiful . Much nicer than what we have here in the UK.

Last edited:
I had haggis, neeps and tatties for lunch since it is Saint Andrews day and the cafe had that on! It was ok. I'm not sure I can think of anything particularly Scottish that I love...

I love stuff like Gnocchi with pesto, or salmon (I suppose you get scottish salmon!). I always love the fresh seafood when I go to places like Majorca!

Yorkshire puddings!!!
Also love Cooplands which is a bakery chain round here, they make chocolate concrete which we used to have at school. yum yum yum

I was in the Isle of Man last weekend CFP and brought back a tin of Manx Knobs and Manx Rock (square rock) for OH.

Reestit mutton soup......I have a leg and a shoulder brining now ready to go in the smoker next week

Yorkshire puddings!!!
Also love Cooplands which is a bakery chain round here, they make chocolate concrete which we used to have at school. yum yum yum

I was in the Isle of Man last weekend CFP and brought back a tin of Manx Knobs and Manx Rock (square rock) for OH.

How did i forget yorkshire puddings :eek::eek::eek:

Where did you go to ? Hope you enjoyed yourself :smile:, and i am not a fan of cooplands although i am partial to their triple choccie muffins :inlove:

I love the pork, trout, watercress, strawberries and apples of the region. Haven't really tried the wines but that's on my list of things to go for.

Well I haven't lived in as many places as you have, Joosie, but I like pretty well all the foods on your list. Here in Dorset, well, there's Dorset Knobs and Blue Vinny cheese - those are the traditional specialities, I suppose - some very good local beers, cream teas - maybe the idea is borrowed from Devon and Cornwall, but definitely part of the Dorset landscape. Then there are some newer ones, Purbeck ice cream, Dorset Cereals muesli from Dorchester, and Chococo chocolates from Swanage - they've been here 10 years now, and they're the best chocolates in the world. Then of course we've got our own local shellfish, especially mussels, crabs and scallops and oysters too ... Will that do for starters?

And Dorset apple cake!

I had haggis, neeps and tatties for lunch since it is Saint Andrews day and the cafe had that on! It was ok. I'm not sure I can think of anything particularly Scottish that I love...

Proper porridge, with salt not sugar; cock-a-leekie; whisky, whisky, whisky .. And some of the best beef and seafood anywhere (I've lived in Scotland too!).

Oh and the milk and eggs. I love the fact that the shop opposite my house sells the milk produced by the cows next to our yard and the eggs laid by the hens we ride past on one of our common routes.

How did i forget yorkshire puddings :eek::eek::eek:

Where did you go to ? Hope you enjoyed yourself :smile:, and i am not a fan of cooplands although i am partial to their triple choccie muffins :inlove:

Hehe Yorkshire puds are my staple diet love em!

My brother and sister in law live in Douglas so stayed with them, didn't do too much sight seeing this time it was so cold! :cold:

Hortobagyi húsos palacsinta - a kind of savoury crepe with meat, sour creme, onion, paprika and other yummy stuff. :) If any of you ever go to Hungary, order it! :D

Erm... how? :giggle:

The French galette is very similar. A savoury crepe, and then the standard filling is along the lines of slice of ham + egg + cream + cheese, though of courseyou can have whatever you like.

It has to be fresh baked soda bread with lashings of butter...there are a million versions of soda bread here and every single one is different but I love them all. However, none compare to my old Mum's home made soda bread!:smile:

Irish stew.....we have it almost once every week through the winter with big fluffy dumplings, yum yum!:wink:

Shetland cheese, Shetland Lamb, Shetland mussels, Shetland veg, homemade bread (OH's specialty), homebakes, fish and chips (fish hot out the sea), Voe pies, Shetland beef, just about anything from Shetland really is streets ahead of anything else imho!

newrider.com