Favourite cake?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
What's your fave cake/tart?

We are going to our annual family Hike n Hoedown in a few weeks. At the event it's a hike up a mountain and then stay overnight camping, pub quiz and a 'bake off' (pre baked cakes taken to the eve - winner of pub quiz picks best cake!)

First year we won with carrot cake, second year we won with apricot tart!

Sooo pressure is on this year!!

Each year chocolate doesn't seem to get picked so pos avoiding that!

Please give us some ideas!!

How about a date and walnut, or a big dish of apple pudding with toffee sauce, or some 'proper' bakewell pudding (bloomin expensive though) or banoffee pie, or a creamy bread and butter pud.... can you tell I like cake/puddings?!

Was going to say carrott cake but you have already done that, good luck whatever you bake :)

The Betty crocker choc cake if you wan YO cheat - it's amazing. Best choc cake iveever eaten ;)

Or sticky toffee puddings by delia smith though you need to warm The sauce (good hot radiator is enough!) but easy and yum!

MALT LOAF
Ingredients
8 tbsp malt extract
90ml/3fl oz hot strong tea
170g/6oz wholemeal self-raising flour
good pinch of ground mixed spice
80g/3oz raisins
80g/3oz sultanas
1 egg
Method
1. Butter a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line it with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1.
2. Mix the malt extract with the hot tea and leave to cool.
3. Place the flour with the mixed spice in a bowl along with the fruits, egg and malty tea. Mix well together before spooning into the lined loaf tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 1¼ - 1½ hours.
4. Pierce with a skewer and once it can be removed clean, then the loaf is ready.
5. Leave to stand for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack. Once cold, wrap in baking parchment and keep in an airtight container for a minimum of 2-3 days. This is a loaf that needs to mature to reach the moist texture we all expect in a malt loaf.

I'll get the date/walnut in a tick

Date & Walnut recipe

Cooking time 1 hout
Temp: 375F/190C/Mark 5
Quantiities for 1lb loaf (aprx 1/2 kilo loa

6oz chopped dates
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 pt boiling water
1 egg
2 oz brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4oz SR Flour
2oz plain flour
2oz chopped walnuts

Put dates & soda in a basin & pour over the boiling water.

Leave to cool.

Mix dry ingredients together with the beaten eggs and date mixture , with additional water to make a soft consistency.

Bake in a greased tin until firm in the middle.

KEEP FOR AT LEAST A DAY (I wrap mine in cling film and then have to sit on my hands...) before cutting in thin slices and spreading with butter or margarine.

Actually, I cut it in slabs and then slather on the butter but then I obviously lack the backbone of Bee Nilson!

Am now sitting here at 5am in the morning with a rumbly tummy reading about all these delicious cakes!

My favourites are chocolate, lemon drizzle, bakewell tart, coffee and walnut and carrot cake.

What a great idea for a family get together, sounds fun. Hope you win!

Well I can't suggest it as it's already been mentioned but seeing as you asked in the title, I'm going to tell you anyway that my most favourite cake is the Betty Crocker carrot cake, which is weird as I usually don't like packet stuff. And sadly Dom can't stand it and I always feel way too guilty to make one just for me so I don't get to eat one that often.

Although there is a lady round these parts who makes a gorgeous "fudge" topped cake which is actually 3 (yes THREE) bars of melted Cadbury's Caramel.... not very low-calorie then :giggle:

The date and walnut is out for us then. Anything you have to jeep for at least a day simply isn't going to be viable in this household!!!!!

Definitely lemon - all the way. I follow the Delia passion fruit sponge recipe but minus the passion fruit stuff & squeeze in LOADS of lemon juice to give it a real zing. I love anything lemony :inlove:

My favourite tart is me :biggrin:

A heavy fruit cake, especially fond of wedding cake. I ate a whole layer of my own wedding cake when I got back from the honeymoon :redface:

You all sound such good bakers!
OH makes a mean choccie cake or just a good ole fashioned Victoria Sponge - anything home-made and slightly warm from the oven is good......

newrider.com