Favorite Horsey Book?

What are your favorite horse books? There's gotta be millions out there, so it should be interesting to see what everyone's been reading...

For riding... I've always been fond of Sally Swift's Centered Riding-- she has great word pictures to help improve your position, really interesting stories about her students and teachers and horses, and some very useful exercises to try!

My mum's a librarian, and she snuck me a copy of Donna Snyder-Smith's The All-Around Horse and Rider before they were supposed to shelve it-- I love it! It's got a lot of the regular basics of riding, choosing a vet, RI, farrier, etc... but in the back, there's a few chapters about choosing a discipline (it's got profiles of a bunch of different kinds of competitions, with information about the best type of horse to use, a summary of the sport, and a "Choose it if you like..." It also lists the governing organizations, along with magazines with coverage, and books with more information for each discipline-- very handy)! I also love the chapter titled "Six Fun Things to do with The Same Horse"

Fiction... Marguerite Henry wrote a book about Godolphin Arabian called "King of the Wind"-- it's so sweet and the illustrations are beautiful. It was definitely my favorite when I was small, and I still read it for the nosalgia every once in a while!

Horse encyclopedia... My mother found a very large, huge, mastadonic horse encyclopedia called The Ultimate Book of the Horse and Rider-- it's published by Barnes & Noble Books, and written by Judith Draper, Debby Sly, and Sarah Muir. Excellent photographs, breed descriptions, as well as a massive section about the basics of riding, horse selection, health care, and horse management. Oh! And it's got a great section about tack-- it explains the uses and applications (as well as the pros and cons) of almost every martingale, noseband, bit, saddle, etc.

--Stille:rolleyes:

The Horse Whisperer
Black Beauty
the DK guide to horse breeds... it's MASSIVE
**** Francis novels

ETA - as in short for Richard

de_Stille_een said:
My mum's a librarian, and she snuck me a copy of Donna Snyder-Smith's The All-Around Horse and Rider before they were supposed to shelve it--

That's the only thing I miss about working in the public library!

I was given King of the Wind when I was a kid. My favorites, read over and over, were the Black Stallion books.

StormArion said:
I used to love the saddle club/pine hollow books SO much.

I don't read fiction books relating to horses anymore (way too childish for me now, i guess) and as for reference, too many to name!
:eek: lol you're NEVER too old for horsey fiction... I'm 20 (ok not ancient YET) but I will continue reading all my favourites til I'm old and pruney. :p lol

i love reading the saddle club books, the best fiction book i think is Heartland, like reading the horse whisper but i like the film better the book takes too long :p

Prince Among Ponies, I know it nearly off by heart. :D My god I am sad :( :p

c kelley, I'm pretty old and I have read a children's book called Wish For a Pony this year given to me by my 36 year old daughter (who read it first). You are right, you are never too old. You shouldn't be anyway.

I loved the 'My Friend Flicka' and 'Thunderhead' books
I also really liked the 'Shantih' books when I was younger. I have millions of horsey teenage fiction books at home... wonder where they all are.

The Tamora Pierse 'Alannah' books were brilliant too, and pretty horsey. They were about a young girl training to be a knight.

Recently I read Seabiscuit, twas ok.

Love Kelly Marks' books.

newrider.com