Favorite Horse Magazine?

lindylou

Sep 12, 2008
East Anglia
Hi Sorry just being nosy I have bought 3 magazines this month Your Horse, Horse and Rider and Horse Horse was my favorite as this I think this was geared at the rider more.

Just curious at what everyone else buys.

Lindy

Horse & Hound, so i can see what my friends / enemies are doing at shows :)D), get the horsy news and drool over the smart horsies for sale. I occasionally get YH and H&R, but they are both tending a bit too much towards the hippy-drippy for me (one of them even has a homeopath giving "advice" alongside the actual vet!) so i tend to avoid them. One of them, is it Your Horse, has schooling cards in sometimes, that I do find useful.

I like horse and rider they have useful articles, schooling tips etc, affordable horses to drool over and I won a competition in it once so am biased! I think Horse and Hound is great if you are rich, compete seriously or run a horsey business,it's just not for me!

I buy the same 3 and usually I like Your Horse best followed by Horse & Rider then Horse. I actually don't think Horse is very good so don't actually know why I continue to buy it!

I bought the Horse Deals mag in August because there was an article that I wanted to read. The mag was so good that I bought this months and can't wait for the next one. There are some really good news items. Highly recommended.

I bought last months H&R but wasnt fussed on it, bought this months and it was more interesting
havent tried anything else yet, horse and hound is more for those who compete Id imagine
Must have a look at some others
bough farming weekly to look at price of horses :eek:, cant see me being able to afford :(, but I continue to dream lol:D

I just get Horse and Hound now, mainly for the show reports, but also to keep up with the news.

i used to get Your Horse and Horse and Rider, but found that things were repeated year on year.

Horse and Rider - keep the copies. Loads of times when I've needed to know things I've remembered that they have covered it, and gone back and read up about it...

Like Horse&Hound just dont have enough time to read one a week! Mainly keep up online with this one...

I used to read Horse&Rider and Your Horse every month but in the past couple of years, they seem not to have been as good :confused: They dont seem to have as many interesting articles in them anymore and everything is just repeated so I rarely buy any.
xx

I sometimes buy Your Horse but as obviously it's aimed solely at horse owners i find a lot of articles in there that aren't applicable to me - and i'm not into competing so some of the 'get a perfect clear round' articles and the like i just skim then leave; and over the past few issues i found things in them that irritated me - (almost wrote in a very angry letter for them dumbing down hacking when they were talking about Trec) and i sort of just buy it if i see it in a shop and happen to have some change on me :).

When i was younger, though, i used to buy Horse and Pony and then when it stopped being sold i started buying Pony Magazine instead. I bought them religiously and found the articles really helpful as a young rider who couldn't own. Obviously they're too young for me now but if i spot one i'll still have a flick through the photo stories :eek::eek::eek:! (my RS, one of the RIs and one of the RS ponies featured in a photostory in Horse and Pony magazine once!)

Horse & Hound ... keeps me up to date with friends and acquaintances, plus the veterinary articles tend to be very interesting and 'current'. Content is never repeated, and there are extensive show reports (plus the window shopping for lorries, horses, jobs, houses etc.!)

Since the hunting ban (which I support) I have bought H&H which I think has most news and very different features.

I also subscribe to Your Horse - cant really think why - guess I am just too lazy to stop it.

I find all the mags apart from H&H are far too advertisement driven and really say precious little - there is the odd article of interest, but for the price and the amount of advertising they are really poor vfm.

Heads away to cancel that subscription.......

newrider.com