favorite films- what do they say about you

lynnemh

Nov 26, 2008
have just had a car journey where my son and i were trying to list our favorite ten films. so, we listed films that we enjoy watching however many times we see them, and we allowed tv mini- series as well. this was harder than first appears, and kept us amused for an hour and a half. i thought it would be interesting to do it on here. mine are pretty pathetic for a grown woman! and i'm almost embarrassed to list them, so please, dont let me be the only one. here goes, and i apologise that i cant list them under each other, i dont know how to do that basic computer thing. ok, in no particular order thes are the films that i watch when i am fed up and want to escape from the world for a few hours; 1)into the west 2)far and away 3) the wild heart 4)scarlett-the sequel to gone with the wind ( that used to be a favorite, but i just cant watch her flog that poor horse to death when she is ascaping back to tara! 5) practical magic 6) stigmatta 7) bad girls 8) forest gump 9) north & south the american civil war series with patrick swayze 10) frenchmans creek . what do they say about me; probably that i like adventure, romance, admire strong women and free spirits, love american history, and interested in metapyshical things, and was a teenager in the seventies.

In no particular order.

1/International Velvet.
2/The Naked Gun films.
3/The Alien films.
4/Silence Of The Lambs.
5/Braveheart.
6/Die Hard, or anything else with Bruce Willis in it, not really interested in the story line :eek:
7/Jaws 1.
8/Armagedon (sp)
9/Dead Set, the Big Brother Zombie thing.
10/Scream / Scary Movie.

What does that say about me?

Hmmm Im not sure I could name a whole 10 but here goes, in no particular order;

1. Lord of the rings 1,3 and 2 in that order - I loved the books and we spent around 4 moonths with no TV aerial but a DVD player and about a dowzen films - we watched them so many times they feel like old friends
  2. Hellraiser (though feels a little dated now)
  3. Gross Point Blank (funny film, great music)
  4. The Lion King and Aladdin (both of these were watched so many times when the kids were little that we know them word for word and again - they are old friends)
  5. Rocky Horror picture Show - fabulous
  6. Fight Club - I spent ages going WTF!!!! And promptly watched it again :)
  7. 300 - its so stylized (and full of sexy men) a very atmospheric film
  8. The Matrix - such a clever idea - did my noodle in for ages!
  9. Jacob's Ladder and 12 Monkeys - couldnt decide between them as both freaky but i love em!
  10. Forest Gump
Hmmm sentimental, into sci-fi and horror and most films I can watch several times and only realsie 3/4 of the way through that Ive seen them before as I just dont pay attention! Snoring on the sofa is fairly frequently.

Having just seen them in someone elses post Im sneaking A Knights Tale and Shawshank Redemption in as honorary top 12 members :D I can see this being my top 50 at this rate and i originally thought I would struggle to find 10!

Last edited:
  1. Star Wars (ep IV A New Hope)
  2. Serenity
  3. Monster's Inc.
  4. Stargate
  5. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
  6. Stand By Me
  7. Aliens
  8. Toy Story 2
  9. Pitch Black
  10. National Velvet

Not sure what that says about me tho'!

I missed off The Rocky Horror Show and some some Disney films :eek:. Bed knobs and broom sticks and The jungle book, any Monty Python films.

Ooohhere goes, in no particular order

1. Forrest GUmp
2. Braveheart
3. Marley & Me
4. Shadowlands
5. Shawshank Redemption
6. Green Mile
7. Conspiracy
8. Seabiscuit
9. Alien Series
10. Lord of the Rings

One of my ultimate favourite films, apart from Pulp Fiction, is Babe (the one about the sheep pig). It makes me cry because it's sad and then cry again because it's happy, but in a sad sort of way :eek::eek:

Also Crash is a fantastic film (it really has you gripped and caring about the characters), and American Beauty I loved too. There was one on Channel 4 a couple of months ago called The Business, it was about gangsters in Spain, and it had that rather nice Danny Dyer in it. I really, really enjoyed it.

Oh and 51st State with Samuel L Jackson is another good one, there is a bit of a theme with gangster/killing films going on ...........

Not in any particular order.

North & South
The Thorn Birds (sad i know)
'V' (for those old enough to remember)

Aliens (all of them)
Alien V Predator (not the last one)
Pedator (first one)
Rambo (all of them, some bad I know)
Dirty Dancing
Road house
Next of Kin (see a theme with the last 3 LOL)
Underworld (vampire/werewolf)
Blade (all 3)
28 days later
Doomsday
30 days of night
Poltergeist
Born free (the one and only film i've ever cried at, at about the age of 8ish)

Do like horror, sci fi horror or ghost. Unfortunately am now becoming immune to horror and they seem to end up us as funny.

And all the rest i've forgotton like Terminator

Breakfast at Tiffanys' ! Surprised it's not been mentionned - ageism strikes again? :D)
Other than that - The Matrix, particularly the first film.

Last edited:
Milliondollar baby (but cry every single time that the girl dies!:)
A River runs through it (Brad 'gorgeous' Pitt)
Legends of the fall (him again:D)
Training Day
Shawshank Redemption
Iceage
Who will love my children (very sad film - cry at it too)
PS I Love you
Standby me
Pretty in Pink

Just ten?

I'm sorry, but I can't possibly put them in order of preference - my favourite changes depending on my mood - but here goes:

- Breakfast at Tiffany's (Cat!)
- To Kill a Mockingbird (although the book's better)
- The Shawshank Redemption
- An Affair to Remember (who could not full in love with either Cary Grant or Deborah Kerr in that film - I cry EVERY time!)
- Dreamer (Dakota Fanning rocked that film)
- The Princess Bride ("oh ... this gate key!")
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Brokeback Mountain
- Dinner Rush
- Finding Nemo (my fave Pixar)

But there are so many others . . . 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, Million Dollar Baby, Love Actually, The Black Stallion (love the scenes with the boy and "The Black" on the beach), Clueless, Atonement (didn't expect to like Keira Knightley in that, but she's great), Glengarry Glenross (bleak, sad but great acting), Things We Lost in the Fire (Halle Berry and Benecio del Toro at their best).

This is a hard question!

N

'V' (for those old enough to remember)

There's a remake now, it started on telly here [Ireland] last night, and wouldn't you know it, it was the one night I went out and I bleedin' well missed it!!!

Having had a look at my DVD collection I could easily do a top 50 favourite fillums :D

Great thread - and the 39 STEPS!!! Thought it was just me that liked that one - you do mean the black and white version not the 70's remake? (soz if you already said!)

Ok, just ten:

1. The Lost Boys (excellent soundtrack)
2. BAck to the Future (who could resist Huey Lewis and the News blasting out in that film!!!)
3. Highlander
4. Excalibur (The (think its) John Boorman (sp) version)
5. The Mummy
6. Nightmare on Elm Street (particularly the first fim in the series)
7. Pretty Woman
8. Get Shorty - (such a cool film)
9. Dr No
10. Live and Let Die

To be honest, I love Bond films, so should have a seperate section for those!lol. What a geek.

newrider.com