Farrier struggles

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My farrier is great, he tolerates my interfering ;) and does a lovely job with Jess' feet, but we're struggling.

A is really retired, he just does Jess as a favor, but with years as a farrier and age against him he's not as mobile as he once was. Jess has always struggled to lift her legs very high or twist them to the side (heavy muscled QH), it makes her uncomfortable, and she's worse about standing on her bad foot but even now will stand for ages when I crouch and rest her foot on my knee (how I always trimmed her) or with her foot on my half height stand. The combination is resulting in every pair of shoes being a bit of a fight, last time was particularly bad - rearing, kicking, dumping her whole weight on A, it makes the whole thing take twice as long as necessary and I really don't want anyone injured.

I have tried doing her on hard and soft surfaces, try to make her as content as possible (after dinner/big net of haylage in front of her), we always do her bad foot last and I'm going to bute her for a couple of days before next time, but I strongly suspect its just how high A needs to bring her feet for his comfort. I don't know what I can do, any ideas?

Changing farriers isn't really an option, they get pissy when I explain how I need her shod, and because they obviously know best will trim her as they want and lame her, its the reason I started trimming her myself again a few years ago. Even A who is a friend and lovely chap, has tried to do 'a bit more' a few times and she'll be lame for 4/5 weeks šŸ˜¢

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
Could A recommend another farrier and talk to them about how she needs trimming and shoeing? The bute sounds a really good idea, and maybe a touch of sedation too in case she's anticipating discomfort and so locking her muscles up - talk to your vet and see what they think if you feel that may help.

Does it make a difference if you do a small amount of light exercise first so her muscles are warmed up?

• Love
Reactions: Jessey
Could A recommend another farrier and talk to them about how she needs trimming and shoeing? The bute sounds a really good idea, and maybe a touch of sedation too in case she's anticipating discomfort and so locking her muscles up - talk to your vet and see what they think if you feel that may help.

Does it make a difference if you do a small amount of light exercise first so her muscles are warmed up?
I don't know if he could, It's difficult, she's got long toes that they all want to trim back, but the second their rasp touches her sole she's so sore as her soles are so thin, they all look and think they know better than the half a dozen that came before them and the 3 sets of Xrays I show them, but she shouldn't have to suffer for it.

I am loathe to sedate, if it hurts I don't want to force her to endure it by taking away her ability to react. I'm more than happy to give pain killers though, I might ask my vet if there is anything quicker acting/stronger that she could have just for odd doses, I think paracetamol is meant to be pretty effective for feet.

šŸ’”šŸ’”šŸ’”I have never really considered exercise, I could def try making sure she's had a good walk about before he arrives and that she's well rugged the night before. I guess I could also do some stretches with her between visits to try and increase her flexibility.

I wasn't thinking of a heavy sedation so she couldn't react, just enough to relax her - the difference between a drink for Dutch courage at the meet and getting legless!

I've certainly seen older or stiff horses that are a lot happier if walked out for, say, 20 minutes before shoeing particularly if the farrier then does the most difficult foot first. It sounds like such a little thing and it doesn't work for all, but there's no harm in trying.

My farrier said the other day that hes found Chunky is wanting to lift his front legs up less high. Hes got a different stand now which he can un screw, remove and change for a different stand top. Which Chunky seems to accept as he can rest his foot on it.

I think painkillers before hand and some walking in hand might be worth a try. Before our farrier comes mr trews and me walk the girls around and make sure they are as un-stiff as possible. Plus I do give them a Danilon each - it does seem to help. Though it sounds like Jess has some quite complicated issues with the farriers wanting to do what they think is right. As you say such a shame that she should have to suffer if you do get another farrier, just because they either don't want to listen to you - or think they know better despite your past experiences and knowledge of what is right for her. Humph. Difficult isn't it.,

Before he died Mattie was on bute for 2 days beforehand and a double dose of v-calm the night before and on the day. The v-calm helped because he was the kind of hot blooded horse who gets himself into a tizzy and then can't calm down. I don't think Jess is quite such a Muppet.

Iā€™m definitely going to try the bute and walking.

I know you didnā€™t mean that @carthorse, I had a whole thought train I skipped sharing, I donā€™t think anything less will do much to help. She doesnā€™t appear to get particularly stressed by it, she tryā€™s her damndest and is still eating even when sheā€™s shaking with the effort but then she just canā€™t do it any more and it gets a bit dramatic but sheā€™ll stand straight up after and give her foot again no fuss. If I was trimming Iā€™d just let her rest, but when A is trying to nail a shoe on he needs at least 2 nails in before she can put the foot down. Maybe I need to go back to wraps or boots.

I might see if I can get myself a better foot stand with an adjustable cradle (mine just has a flat top) so I can practice with it and A can use it.

Reactions: carthorse
(((Hugs))), A certainly can't say you aren't trying everything.

Another thought, and one you may not be happy with and I know I wouldn't want to do it but it's worth throwing out there. Could you remove the shoes the day before and do some of the trim, then boot her? Then when A comes he could fine tune the trim and reshoe. I'm just thinking it would be less for her to deal with on the day and you don't need to hold the foot so high to work.

(((Hugs))), A certainly can't say you aren't trying everything.

Another thought, and one you may not be happy with and I know I wouldn't want to do it but it's worth throwing out there. Could you remove the shoes the day before and do some of the trim, then boot her? Then when A comes he could fine tune the trim and reshoe. I'm just thinking it would be less for her to deal with on the day and you don't need to hold the foot so high to work.
Lol you read my mind, Iā€™m quite happy to remove the shoes, this might be an option.

Reactions: carthorse
1. When you say she can ā€œbe lame 4/5 weeks, how long does she go between trims?

I donā€™t let either of my horses go longer than five weeks for a trim or a reset; that gives the farrier a chance to make progress with any issues, rather than having to play catch-up. Plus it helps keep the heels from growing too high as some horses can have sore tendon issues if too much heel has to be taken off at once.

2. Folding a big bath towel in half twice, then putting it under the opposite hoof that is being worked on helps a lot.

3. I give my foundered horse, who also has Low Ringbone, a Previcox (equioxx) about 20 minutes before the farrier gets here.

I do what @carthorse suggested, walk out for 20 minutes, Bute a few days before and as my farrier is a young chap heā€™s happy to sit on the floor to do Belle and save hard having to lift up so high, which is a big bonus.
I think @carthorse idea is brilliant, take shoes off the day before, I hadnā€™t thought of that one. šŸ˜Š

1. When you say she can ā€œbe lame 4/5 weeks, how long does she go between trims?

I donā€™t let either of my horses go longer than five weeks for a trim or a reset; that gives the farrier a chance to make progress with any issues, rather than having to play catch-up. Plus it helps keep the heels from growing too high as some horses can have sore tendon issues if too much heel has to be taken off at once.

2. Folding a big bath towel in half twice, then putting it under the opposite hoof that is being worked on helps a lot.

3. I give my foundered horse, who also has Low Ringbone, a Previcox (equioxx) about 20 minutes before the farrier gets here.
She goes no more than 6 weeks between sets, normally done at 5 weeks. When bare she was much better trimmed little and often, every 3 or 4 weeks, but if we go that short with shoes it becomes a nail hole issue.

I don't know that a towel would make much difference, she's done on sand which is pretty soft and conforming. And in all honesty she'd probably believe we were trying to chop her leg off with a towel and cause more drama šŸ¤£

She was shod again a few days ago, I was going to bute her but he didn't call me until late the night before for a first thing appointment. I opted not to put the pads on this time for other reasons but it does speed up getting the shoes on, that and a lot more rests for her and we got it done without any drama.

newrider.com