FAO Mike- Paypal

poo-picker

Mar 18, 2008
Mike...I am very worried about using my card over the net as i was scammed on an supposedly secure site for an awful lot of money. would we be able to send a cheque or postal order instead as i wont be able to stay otherwise.

I have never had any prob paying via net, I pay all my bills online, donate to greyhound causes, buy and sell via ebay, never a problem apart from goods not ariving from ebay on 2 occasions
with paypal however you have to have your details verified, if your a first time user, can take a few weeks

lol 1st week i had paypal, someone took £40 out of my account for "perfume". I went mad at other half cause i was thinking all sorts because ive heard how secure its meant to be!!!

we got our money back, but dont really trust it! Have to use it for my addiction for ebay thou! lol

OP you might want to change the title of your post,or make a new one as this one is not going to get noticed by Mike I doubt as not a specific title addressed to him if that makes sense??

Or maybe send him a PM??

I have used paypal for years BTW never had a problem:)

OP you might want to change the title of your post,or make a new one as this one is not going to get noticed by Mike I doubt as not a specific title addressed to him if that makes sense??

Or maybe send him a PM??

I have used paypal for years BTW never had a problem:)

Im pretty sure the mods will be reading every post on every thread at the moment!!!!!

Im pretty sure the mods will be reading every post on every thread at the moment!!!!!

They are. ;)

grey_lady- This has already been done to death; please don't drag this thread off-topic.

poo-picker- I've changed the title of your thread to make it a bit more noticeable. I'm sure you aren't the only one wondering about this very thing.

Moderator Katie_85

I too have had money fleeced off me as a result of paying on the internet. I would advise that you pay by a credit card (instead of a debit card) as this gives you more protection. If you keep a close eye on your account and report and abnormalities to the bank as soon as possible you should have no problem in getting your money back from the bank.

I'm quite happy to pay by credit card over the internet and have never had any problems.

I do find PAYPAL a complete pain - having in the past used it quite a bit, they now want me to verify my account (or something like that), which involves moving a token nominal amount of money in and out of accounts at specific times - all far too complicated and time consuming, so I no longer use PAYPAL :rolleyes:

im quite happy to pay by postal order if that is possible

not saying i agree with the charge but i missed being able to post yesterday ( this forum has become a must have for me )

Last edited:
I love Paypal. I find it very convenient and secure and if you fund your payment via credit card then you get 2 layers of protection, that from Paypal and that from your credit card company (although check the details of each cover).

Mind you it does cost the recipient to receive the payment. Perhaps looking at direct bank transfers might be another way of accepting subscriptions.

Paypal for the recipient is easy to paper trail and other methods such as cheques and postal orders can complicate matters and requires physical trips to the bank or post office. Paypal is so much easier.

I've lost track of the number of times on eBay I've sold something to have an anonymus cheque or postal order (or even cash on accasions!) turn up for me to have to plow back through all my sales to work out who sent it. That would be harder for the subscriptions as the amounts would all be for either £10 or £15.

Most credit card companies are very much aware of people's cards being stolen online and will check for unusual activity on your card - happened to me a couple of years ago - I didn't know anything about it, all of a sudden my card wouldn't work, then I finally got a phone call from the credit card fraud people :eek:

PayPal however is one of the most secure ways to pay online, and is probably better than a site where you have to give them your card number etc.

We are not all computer nerds whose machines are charged with the very latest in anti virus, spyware etc. (No disrespect to those that are)

I have never supplied my bank details through my computer and really do not want to start. I will try resolve this with my bank as it may be possible for them to give me a second debit card that will only work up to the amount I put on it. I remember some discussion of these cards some time ago but don't know if anything came of it. I think they were intended as a safe card for parents to give to their kids.

I think NR should think further on this one and offer an alternative payment method and I am sure this could be done through the banks somehow but the problem is that with 28,000 members and only a couple of weeks to go they have put themselves in a bit of a corner.

In closing, I think this forum will be a better place and agree that subscription is necessary for it to evolve. One possibility would be for proffessionals to be invited to run subsites within the forum where they could hold workshops and run their own newsletters or even just coming in as a guest occassionally. With an income coming in anything could be possible and I see the possibility of NR evolving into something that goes far far beyond being just a message board and become a difinitive source of information on all things equine. (Sorry NR, just thinking out loud.)

Most credit card companies are very much aware of people's cards being stolen online and will check for unusual activity on your card - happened to me a couple of years ago - I didn't know anything about it, all of a sudden my card wouldn't work, then I finally got a phone call from the credit card fraud people :eek:

Hehe same thing happened to my mum - in New York!!:rolleyes:

I can't use paypal...my card isn't working on there - tried making a new account and it says the card is already with another account:mad::mad: Not been too bothered coz I don't buy stuff off ebay etc but now means I can't pay for this :confused:

newrider.com