Fantastic news regarding Ronnie, I'm over the moon!

beating_hooves

Addictee
Aug 27, 2007
West Yorkshire
Previous Thread

Well I spoke to my mum about getting him re-vetted and although she was a bit reluctant she agreed that it was an option.

We decided first to send the videos of him to my flatwork instructor who said although she had faith in the vet we used, she would come with us if we wanted to see him again. That was this morning.

Anyway coincidently, just now, my mum had a missed call off the dealer, his owner. She rang back and the lady said she was very concerned about what our vet had said and if he in fact was lame he would have to go back to Holland, where he came from.

So she said that this morning she had him 5 stage vetted again.....and he passed with flying colours!!! :D

She said the vet had her working him very hard and she was knackered, but the vet said he was 100% healthy.

The only thing the vet said is that his feet need sorting but could easily be done by a farrier, and maybe that was the reason for his unsoundness previously, what do you think?

Also the vet said that he is fantasticly balanced and floats across the ground, and if he was buying him he'd snap their hand off.

I'm so happy, I've been so down for the past week but this has 100% lifted my mood.

Agree this is excellent news - but after such differing opinions will you be askjing another independant vet to check him. Hope all works out for you.

just be careful, as the others have said get your own vet.
IMO She should really have contacted you first and agreed a 'mutally agreeable' vet, someone with a good reputation that has no contact with her before she did this so that there would be no doubt in anyones mind particulary yours.
also can't really see a vet commenting about how they would 'snap him up' if they were you, a good vet remains impartial throughout a vetting and doesnt offer opinions like that.
hope it all works out.:)

Please be very careful - Im assuming that all the positive stuff this vet has supposedly said has been relayed to you via the owner/seller???

Hmmmm....really dont want to burst your bubble but if you still want to go further with this purchase do as others suggest and get an independent vet to do another 5 stage vetting for YOU not the owner.

A few years ago when I still lived in the Uk - in our area - if we where thinking of selling a horse we always kept our fingers crossed that the prospecvtive purchaser would use a particular local vet (who shall, of course, remain nameless!!!) Reason being that he was absolutely useless at vetting horses and well known for passing horses as sound that were well known not to be!!!

Not that I ever deliberately sold an unsound one myself but I knew plenty of people who did and got away with it because of this vets incompetence - so be warned!!

Oh don't worry we will definately get him checked again by one of our vets, I'm just pleased that there is still the possibility he will be my horse :)

The thing is we are reluctant to use a vet from the same company as before, as they might not want to go against their partner which is fair enough. We are also going to speak to the vet we used to perhaps get a more detailed report.

My flatwork instructor, who's family deals themselves (and who I bought Cherry from) said she would come with us, so thats another valued opinion we can get.

Will keep fingers crossed for you. Do hope it all works out - but really glad you're being sensible & cautious. Look forward to updates ...

Right we have found another vet to see him, who was recommended by a friend. We are not going to mention the other two vettings, as we want it to be 100% independant and so his decision isn't influenced at all.

Honestly, do you think we are doing the right thing? Or should have just walked away?

absoloutely get him vetted again, it's rubbish to say he has to go back to holland(as if) et.c if he's lame, and being vetted by the dealers vet, is a common ploy, I have to say I didn't think he looked 100% right in the video soundness wise but you need to go to a really good independant vet, and make sure you get bloods taken in case of bute!
Good luck

absoloutely get him vetted again, it's rubbish to say he has to go back to holland(as if) et.c if he's lame, and being vetted by the dealers vet, is a common ploy, I have to say I didn't think he looked 100% right in the video soundness wise but you need to go to a really good independant vet, and make sure you get bloods taken in case of bute!
Good luck

You'd think that any vet would vet them thoroughly and truthfully though, as their reputation is at risk. I'd like to think that anyway.

But yes we are getting him checked again :)

Get him vetted again for certain!!

Sounds far more positive than before so let's hope that it all works out :D

When is the vet going?

Right we have found another vet to see him, who was recommended by a friend. We are not going to mention the other two vettings, as we want it to be 100% independant and so his decision isn't influenced at all.

Honestly, do you think we are doing the right thing? Or should have just walked away?

mate, I think by law you have to inform a professional if you're seeking a 2nd opinion. Now i know this is the case for routien stuff like if the horse was yours and diagnosed the lamess - not too sure if it is also the case for vettings as you don't own the horse hummm I had to let the 2nd vet know it was a second opinion as it said so on their website

Last edited:
mate, I think by law you have to inform a professional if you're seeking a 2nd opinion. Now i know this is the case for routien stuff like if the horse was yours and diagnosed the lamess - not too sure if it is also the case for vettings as you don't own the horse hummm I had to let the 2nd vet know it was a second opinion as it said so on their website

Really? I didn't know that.

Thanks though, I'll research it further. Don't want to get myself locked up now do I? ;)

My advice would be to have your own personal vet that you know well vet him and have blood taken because for all you know that horse could be buted up to tomorrow. Good luck with it tho, when are you having him vetted?

My advice would be to have your own personal vet that you know well vet him and have blood taken because for all you know that horse could be buted up to tomorrow. Good luck with it tho, when are you having him vetted?

Get him vetted again for certain!!

Sounds far more positive than before so let's hope that it all works out :D

When is the vet going?

Don't know yet, we can't ring him until Tuesday because of Bank Holiday. I'll let you know after then :)

just to let you know the prices of getting the bloods done. Def not to put you off in any way cos I def think you should get them done.
get the bloods taken and stored £50 plus vat
go ahead and ask for sedative analysis £157 plus vat
check for painkiller £100 plus vat.
well that's what I've been told with the vet that did my vetting in Surrey.
I'm currently getting mine done for sedatives.

good luck.

just to let you know the prices of getting the bloods done. Def not to put you off in any way cos I def think you should get them done.
get the bloods taken and stored £50 plus vat
go ahead and ask for sedative analysis £157 plus vat
check for painkiller £100 plus vat.
well that's what I've been told with the vet that did my vetting in Surrey.
I'm currently getting mine done for sedatives.

good luck.

Thanks pmcc, thats really helpful :)

It is a bit expensive, but definately worth doing!

newrider.com