Fantastic Lesson with Mike Aylemore

George1066

Apr 14, 2006
I dont really know if this is the right place to put this as I am new to chat forums but a friend told me they are a good place to simply talk about things and as I am still buzzing from my recent lesson I wanted to share my experience with others.

Until recently I did not know there was a difference in Classical Dressage and just normal dressage. I dont really do dressage anyway but I needed help with my very quirky little horse.

Mike has been riding several horses at my yard for a while now and I have secretly watched and thought how good he looks and how well the horses respond to him. So I decided to have a lesson myself but was so worried he would think I was useless or my horse is too quirky to do anything with.

I dont know why I could ever have been worried. Mike is wonderful. He explained so much to me and I understood a whole new way of how to get things going well.

I enjoyed the experience and the difference in my horse so much I am going to have a lesson every week.

I feel this is a bit of a pointless message but I just wanted to share it with others and not feel a bit stupid about it all.

I would highly recommend Mike to anyone who wants to do well in dressage or who just wants to learn to get in more harmony with their horse.

That sounds great. What kind of things did he help you with? I'm always interested in hearing other peoples problems and how they are fixed in case it helps me!

He has a very good reputation!

You are lucky to have him near you, Does he travel to do courses?

Well my horse is odd in his back end so he kind of banana bends behind. I think it was to do with him having bad stifles as a baby and now he can be stiff behind the saddle.

That was my first lesson with Mike and he recognised the problem straight away and had us doing exercises to help straighten us and get my horse stepping underneath himself without hurrying. He is very quiet and doesnt shout at you at all and explains everything to you so you know what to feel for and what to work on.

I dont know exactly how far he would travel but one of the other people that has had her horse schooled with him for years did say he teaches people all over the place so you could give him a call if you wanted and ask him.

If you want his number I can get it for you later.

I've been thinking about ringing him to see if he'll come to me too, I just don't feel worthy of having lessons from him at the moment :eek: . I know he travels to Taunton to teach someone but don't know where in Wiltshire he's based.

RUBBISH! of course you are worthy, any teacher from his background will be only too willing to teach anyone.

Look at it this way, there are a lot of teachers out there not worthy to teach me and have anything to do with my horses! ;) ;)

:D lol, hadn't thought of it that way before, I have refused to be taught by one instructor as I hated her way of teaching and riding.

I might save him for a monthly lesson, better get me and the horse fit. :rolleyes:

amandal said:
I've been thinking about ringing him to see if he'll come to me too, I just don't feel worthy of having lessons from him at the moment :eek: . I know he travels to Taunton to teach someone but don't know where in Wiltshire he's based.

From talking to other people I know that he doesnt mind what level you are at so long as you are willing to learn. I have watched him ride a young skewbald horse and a young cob and another horse on my yard and his riding is lovely. When he gave me my lesson I was very worried about what he would think of my horse but he wasnt derogatory in any way and explained how I should correct what I have been doing. At no time did I think I was unworthy or not of a good enough standard for him and that made me feel really good. He explained things to me so I understood why I was doing something.

I would say go for it. Give him a call.

I just checked out the web site and he sounds great. I worried about whether me or my horses were good enough for certain trainers with high profiles and then I thought 'what the heck, I want to do the best for my horses and asking costs nothing '
I have been pleasantly surprised that good horsemen/ women (and other professionals) are good because they genuinely love horses.I agree with Wally, there are trainers I wouldn't let near my lot and anyone who thought they were too grand for me would certainly be top of that list, but fortunately not met anyone like that.

newrider.com