Falling in on the lunge.

Milan+Merlin

Aug 2, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Following on from my thread the other day about lunging, I decided to go and watch my friend lunge her horse.
He kept falling in on the lunge, making the circle smaller and smaller until it got to the point where he just stopped right in front of her. :rolleyes:
So I asked her how to stop him from falling in, she said she wasnt sure :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, I thought since you were so helpful last time that Id ask you lot :D
How do you stop a horse falling in on the lunge?

xx:)

ETA; he HATES lunge whips. if you have one he carts off with you/rears/broncs.

Hey :)

Hmmm, my first thought would be to de-sensitise the horse to the whip, because you can use this to gently guide the horse back out on the circle. So not only will she be solving the falling in problem, but you will have encourage the horse to get over fear of whips ;) Because whips should be aids, not beating tools. :eek: Not that I say you friend beats horses. lol, was just saying in all round generalness.

HAVE FUN :D

Last edited:
I have the same problems (I think it was you who was having the same lunging worries as me last time?)
Ive had some help from my riding instructer, and when gem starts to fall in, I step forward towards her head, not allowing to come in, and she keeps out. She will keep trying it, until eventually she realises she just aint coming to me!
it is all very fustraiting i know:rolleyes:

also flicking the line may help? does with me sometimes anyway so worth a try!:p

you could try lungeing off of a second rein if the above advice doesn't help.You have more control over their bodies with the second line around the outside of them and they find it harder to fall in to begin with.

I have the same problems (I think it was you who was having the same lunging worries as me last time?)
Ive had some help from my riding instructer, and when gem starts to fall in, I step forward towards her head, not allowing to come in, and she keeps out. She will keep trying it, until eventually she realises she just aint coming to me!
it is all very fustraiting i know:rolleyes:

also flicking the line may help? does with me sometimes anyway so worth a try!:p

Yes it was :p
When you step into her, doesnt it drop the rope onto the floor?
Tried flicking the line she thinks it means canter :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone ;)

Ahh thought it was you :)
It might with some, but Gem if you sudenly step forward in a very forceful way she goes away from you, so has to go out. she goes faster aswell, but anything you do makes her go faster:p
the advice about using two lines is a very good adea actually, never thought about doing that before, may try it. only problem is what happens when she rears and spins round the other way???:confused:

dont you just love lunging!!:rolleyes:

My advice is to only lunge with 2 lines if your are experienced, as this can create other problems.

To stop your horse from falling in you should not step back away from her, but point your lunge whip at her shoulder and at the same out say 'Out', she may charge off, but at least she is going out and away from you, you can then slow her down and repeat if necessary - she will get it...

Lexi used to do this, and this was how I stopped her, now she stays out on the circle and if she looks like falling in, I only have to say 'Out' and she moves away.

newrider.com