Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge

tngcas

Jun 13, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had heard about the "Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge." My trainer (Kitty Lauman, www.laumantraining.com) has been chosen as one of the trainers to participate in the program. I guess they get a mustang from the BLM and then they have three months to train the horse from completly wild to rideable, then they take the horse to Texas for a big competition. Only 100 trainers were chosen to participate out of 220. Sounds like it could be a really cool project. Its being put on by the mustang heritage foundation. She has worked a lot of mustangs in the past so I think she will be able to do it, but I wonder how some of the other trainers who haven't worked mustangs will fare.

P.S. Kitty just posted a video of her working her horse "ranger" the first time on her web site. It is really cool. www.laumantraining.com/ranger.htm

I may be over-reacting but I can't help worrying about the timeframe and the effect that this deadline may have. I'm sure the trainers are responsible but I can't help being concerned.

That video was really fascinating. I really like your trainer's approach. She's very positive, very relaxed. Yes, the horse was stressed, but I think any time a 3 year old wild horse is introduced to people, there's going to be stress. By the end, he looked like he was really starting to relax. He's a pretty boy too. I wouldn't mind owning him when he's trained! :) Good luck to your trainer! It looks like she's got a good horse for it too. Like she says, he's inquisitive, but not spooky.

I'm not too worried about time limits. Three months is generous. But that might be due to wear I live. It's common around here for people to hand their halter-broke three year olds to a trainer and say, "I want to be able to ride this horse in 30 days". And the trainers do it. :( We bought Topaz as halter broke and under experienced hands, she would have been well rideable after 3months.

That was really interesting, I agree with Keket, your trainer has a really nice approach! :) I am not too worried about the timeframe either, just as long as things are done without rushing, when the horse is ready for each step and everything is done very consistently, it should be enough time.

Will be interesting to hear how your trainer does in the challenge, keep us posted!

Nina x

I also enjoyed the video. I thought she was very methodical and patient. Around here also, the time frame for a "ridable" horse is usually 30-60 days, though I had one trainer tell me (when I was having issues with a green horse) that he would not accept one for less than 90 days. 3 months seems very reasonable for a green-broke horse. I don't think I would want to take off into the mountains with a 3 month horse, but for what they are doing (arena work?) I think it is a very positive challange.

I like the idea of working with mustangs- there sure are a lot that need adopting, and I like the idea of green-broke rather than dog-meat. Perhaps this will be a good advertisement for mustangs!

I think you are fortunate to live near this trainer.

I like the idea of working with mustangs- there sure are a lot that need adopting, and I like the idea of green-broke rather than dog-meat. Perhaps this will be a good advertisement for mustangs!

That's what I thought. 100 trainers, 100 horses. That's 100 mustangs that will have basic training to help them find homes.

There's also this program for gentling Mustangs that I find fascinating: http://www.kbrhorse.net/wclo/blmco05.html

newrider.com