Extra brakes for fast work?

Method_Acting

Aug 12, 2005
UK
(Apologies for the amount I've been posting lately :eek:!)

Okay I plan on getting out more with my horse in the next few months. He's ridden in a single jointed eggbutt happy mouth snaffle which he likes. he wasn't happy in metal french link. He has a regular cavesson noseband.

Most of the time he's fine in this bit, I won't be changing it at all for at home, dressage, sj, hacking etc... but from experiencing him hacking in company (1 - 3 other horses so not a big group) a lot of the time I can't hold him back and when he goes I have no hope of stopping him.

If/when we go on fun rides/hunting I'm thinking something slightly stronger just to keep us both safe? When he goes off, he puts his head RIGHT down and runs. He also tucks his head in and really overbends, sometimes shakes his head from side to side to fight me off.

Suggestions?

a gag of some sort.

avoid pelhams, kimblewicks, hanging cheek snaffles etc- these all have poll pressure and encourage the head down and in :)

Most snaffles have a head-raising effect, apart from the Dutch and American Gag, these lower the head - some horses tend to then go behind the bit in these 'gags'.

The Cheltenham or Barry Gag have a head-raising effect, and are very good for horses which tend to bomb off with their head between their legs.

However, there are no shortcuts for correct schooling.... saying that, I know perfectly well schooled horses which have to be ridden in something stronger for fast or 'exciting' work.

Thanks, I was thinking a cheltenham gag, but not sure if it's a bit severe for him. I would prefer something with two reins so it only comes into play if needed but nothing suitable comes to mind.

I really didn't want to change his bit (even for fast stuff) but I have no idea how to school him out of being better in company. He is fine hacking alone, is fine if he goes first, but add another horse and it's all too exciting...

Making him wait makes it 100 times worse and last time I let him go I ended up dumped in a field! I'm keeping him in the snaffle for hacking, and we aren't going on cantering hacks in company for now. We have a few months to practice before first fun ride :)

Thanks, I was thinking a cheltenham gag, but not sure if it's a bit severe for him. I would prefer something with two reins so it only comes into play if needed but nothing suitable comes to mind.

Lantern is ridden in a waterford snaffle usually but for funrides etc i use the cheltenham gag with double reins. One set on the gag and the other on the snaffle. For hunting i do the same thing but with an american gag, that way i have the gag rein if i get into trouble!

what about a dutch gag but use 2 reins so you only use the stronger one if needed?

Lantern is ridden in a waterford snaffle usually but for funrides etc i use the cheltenham gag with double reins. One set on the gag and the other on the snaffle. For hunting i do the same thing but with an american gag, that way i have the gag rein if i get into trouble!

ahh that makes sense! so it shouldn't be much different to an eggbutt snaffle on the top rein?

what about a dutch gag but use 2 reins so you only use the stronger one if needed?

I considered this too but all the horse's I've ridden in dutch gags have tucked their head right in to evade it, and he does this already in his snaffle?

I had always resisted changing to a stronger bit, but this season we have been persuaded to go hunting with the bloodhounds - which is quite fast and furious!

I have put my mare in a french link dutch gag, and it has made a tremendous difference! I also SJ her in this bit now, as it stops her rushing. She is built quite chunkily, and gets very strong - and I am amazed at the difference in her with the gag.

For dressage, schooling and hacking on my own I still use my Myler loose ring snaffle, but for hunting, XC, SJ and pleasure rides then I change my bridle. The only problem I have really is remembering which bridle to take to the yard with me!! :rolleyes:

My mare does exactly what your horse does & a Cheltenham gag off two reins works very well when she's out with the bloodhounds :) We're still in a French link for everything else.

Thanks - I've just bought a rubber cheltenham gag off ebay. I'll test it out hacking and see if it suits him before taking him anywhere exciting! riding with two reins may take some getting used to..

I have a straight bar happy mouth 3 ring gag happy to pop in post to you :) no use to me somehow i have aquired 3 of them :D

sorry - only just saw this. thanks so much for the offer :) i'll leave it for now and see how this one is but may get back to you if you still have it. thanks :)

x

newrider.com