Exercises to improve balance

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
As i've got older i have noticed that my balance is terrible. I can't seem to get centred when riding and slope quite a bit in the saddle because my back is weak.

Are there any exercises i can do on the ground to help improve muscle and stability. Sully is turned away for winter now so no riding for the mo!

I thought I was well balanced until daughter bought us a 'wiifit' ..lots of exercises there really improve my balance!!!

We have bought my daughter a Wii for xmas and i'm hoping to do fitness stuff on that! :yellowcarded:

I have sat on a fitness ball watching TV to improve my balance in the past. Boxing and kickboxing are also good for teaching balance.

The last time my wifes' friend brought around her Wii board I beat all the kids and during the test it gave me a balance age of 12 :)

Not a competitive Dad - nope not me.

The key to a strong back is a strong belly.

I've got a big belly - is that the same thing?

Many years ago, a gym instructor gave me an exercise to improve balance:
sit on a large gymball as if its a chair, back straight, feet flat on the floor in front of you at shoulder width (put them further apart if you're really wobbly at first), hold arms straight out from your shoulders but with elbows at 90 degrees & hands pointing towards the ceiling (the classic 'surrender' position basically), push arms upwards so that your hands meet above your head, lower arms back to starting position. Try to do 10 repetitions, rest about 30 seconds with arms down by your sides, 10 more, rest as before, 10 more. You can hold a weight in each hand to intensify the effect as you progress.
It worked very well for me.
Good luck.

The WiiFit is really good! .... it looks like deceptively easy stuff but I managed to cripple myself by being too enthusiastic!!

The key to a strong back is a strong belly.

This is true!!

When I had major ops on my stomache area (10inch cut down the front straight through the muscles) It made it very hard to sit up straight and i never was good at it anyway, now its just not happening without lots of hard work lol

Yes, I'll have the strongest belly if that were true!:giggle:Unfortunately its not. Try sit ups for strengthening your abdominal area.

newrider.com