Exercises for strengthening the leg!

Jul 26, 2005
I have been riding for over 5 years now...however somewhat erratically and mainly hacking a 16hh fellow who i love to bits :eek:

Unfortunately i had to give him up after i moved away to go to uni. I have been having lessons and am currently riding a 14.1hh dales pony who is very sweet! However the problem i have is when i put my leg on i draw my heel right up! Im having problems having the strength in my lower leg to put the pressure on without using my heel!

I'm enjoying riding this pony, so dont want to have to move onto something bigger and i feel it will help strenghten my position and leg aids...i was just wondering if anyone had and exercises they would recommend to strenghten my leg!
I do have access to a gym so any exercise machines can be used too :)

Just sounds like your calf muscles have shortened a bit and need lengthing. Start with gentle excercises, while your at it, give yourself a full body work out. Not only is this beneficial, but it als helps varies the routine.

I'm short on time and would post some links. lol. :p Try a wee lunge, touching toes etc...

newrider.com