exercise driving classes

heidiho

Jul 30, 2010
I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of doing an exercise driving class at a local show. I need sone advice what to wear for both whip and groom. How to present the pony. Would I plait him. Do I need a spares kit and what would I need if I did. And also what to do in the show ring. This would be our first show.
Many thanks.

Yes you need a spares kit. generally stick a spare head collar in. Hoof pick, pen knife, bit of string, Lead rope. If you have lamps batteries or candle depending on what powers them. note book and pencil, not a biro. Pencils work in the damp. I have a small human first aid kit in mine, a few plasters and a space blanket and triangular bandage. Spare breeching strap, trace and rein, if you want to go OTT.

What you wear is up to you. You can go uber posh and wear tie and posh hat. But whatever you wear you must wear a hat. You can wear riding hats, or ones with matching silks and match your groom or have your groom in smart riding wear.

Generally in exercise most folk I see go for smart casual with hard hats. Matching sweat shirts that kind of thing.But you must both wear gloves and the driver ought to have an apron.

I'd plait if the pony was of that type for a show class, not the tail though, just mane. Just present him as clean as you can, same with the harness and cart. Polish all metal parts.

Generally you will all go into the ring and trot and walk on both reins. Use whip signals in the ring if you can and try and drive coachman, It might make the difference of a couple of placings. The judge will line everyone up in any order then ask everyone to perform an individual show. Sometimes the judge will tell you what they'd like to see, other times they will ask you to do a show of your own making. Every time the judge has asked us to do a show it has included a rein back and lengthened strides. Sometimes a 20m circle with reins in one hand! A driving rein back should move the axle of the vehicle 3 metres in a straight line. Practice at home, keep it as calm as you can.

Just watch what other folk do and enjoy. When ever you stop get the groom out to stand by the pony's head facing him. He does not have to hold him, just stand in front in case they are needed.

Here are, this is our exercise class get ups

Junior whip where a hard hat for the child must be worn.

Last edited:
Brilliant that is fantastic help. Would I look ok in my beagler hat that I wear for inhand showing. Need to practice coachman reins. Are the grooms allowed to hold ponies if necessary. Pony has pulled tail so cant plait that. Thank you for your help.

Yes, if you feel your horse would benefit from the groom actually holding on, then ask her to, but the judge will look well on a pony who stands still without being held. We often arm the groom with a pocket of treats to keep a new, green horse's mind on nice things.

Pulled tails on driving ponies are not common. even the biggest poshest carriage horses have full tails.

Would he get marked down with a pulled tail. Unfortunately it is already pulled as we do inhand showing and dressage.

I doubt you'll get marked down in an exercise cart class. HOYS maybe in the final ;)

If I were judging safety and condition and manners of the horse come first, then when trying to pick the nits out of a placing would I take technicalities into consideration.

what materialis best for the apron ie would it be ok to waet a waterproof one or is something more traditional better. also if the picture attachment works would I be ok wearing what I wear for my inhand classes. many thanks for your help .

Attachments

• foxes-2-1.jpg
    foxes-2-1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 8
I'd make a light cotton twill one in navy to pick out the collar on your jacket. E-bay has been my friend here, lots of my driving apron materials have come from e-bay. You can make one for a fraction of the cost of buying one.

Thank you. are they relatively easy to make. would you happen to know where you can find patterns. Now on the search for something I can fix to my cart for a spares kit.

You can get those baskets they do hampers in quite cheaply from shops. That's what we have. Some are posh F&M ones, others are just things we have found in second hand shops and charity shops.

All I did to make mine was cut out an oblong long enough to go just above ankles when standing and wide enough to go round me. Fold in half longways and cut the bottom corners off rounded. Got some cotton binding and did the edges. then put a leather strap and buckle on the back. I think you can buy ready made kilt straps from dress making supply shops. I just made my own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=kilt+straps&_nkwusc=kilt+sraps&_rdc=1

Will get mum making me one. Am I right in thinking bi won't put my headcollar on underneath bridle as I would normally do when out exercising.

You could, but for a showing class it would be better without. If you had a really light, narrrow driving under bridle halter it would be better than an ordinary headcollar. I don;t think you;d be marked down, it just depends on the judge.

I do have a under halter but having shown inhand and under saddle in the past I can imagine driving showing on a same par amd I wouldn't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

newrider.com