exercise cart and trotting

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
Hi
I had a lovely drive with izzy today and can now harness up in a jiffy. Her cart is a basic 2 wheel exercise cart. The problem is when we trot it really bumpy. Is it due to the type of cart or is that quie usual with 2 wheelers?
Thanks

Sounds like you don't have the balance quite right.

The shafts ought to be floating at all times in the tugs and the horse shouldn't be sending any of his movement back to you in the driving seat. Sounds like you need to slide the seat back a bit. Or take the tugs up a hole. Lots of different things you could try depending what the problem is.

Got any photos?

The tugs are the leather loops that the shafts go through. You can adjust them up and down.

By messing about with the height of them, and the seat you can alter the way the cart balances....but there are allso about 10 other factors that will throw the cart out of balance. Often a photo can show the problem.

pictures

Here are two pics ill post better ones from my camera

Attachments

• iz n me driving.jpg
    iz n me driving.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 20
  • iz the lush.jpg
    iz the lush.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 23
It's really hard to see, but he looks a bit too far away from the cart. You need to take your traces up in your breeching too, so he doesn't step over it.

It looks like your breeching has slipped alarmingly too, so something's going on there by the looks. It shouldn't have done that.

Are there no terrets on your collar, your reins are in danger of getting caught up. Looks like there is a ring on the neck strap that supports the collar.

What we really need is a photo of him standing in the cart, all done up in his harness on flat ground. Just looking again, you might have the belly band far too tight which is not allowing the shafts to float.

Sorry, there are so many factors that could be giving you a bumpy ride. Tricky thing is, if you make one strap longer you will need to balance it out somewhere else, making another one shorter.
Here, can you see what I mean about taking your trace up with the breeching strap when you do it up around the shaft?

Kina.jpg

Getting harness adjusted just right is a very tricky art.

Last edited:
I have now cottoned on since I hadn't put traces through a loop of the breeching tied round the shafts which I now do but it has made it even bumpier ill get some more pics it all came with her so I assumed the fit was good...

What a stunningly fjord I have one but don't know if he has driven and his derriere is possibly too wide for the cart :)

newrider.com