Ex race horse won’t get right canter lead.

Rakshasa

Jul 3, 2019
Cheshire
Hi there
So I’ve recently got an exracehorse. He’s only 4, so young and inexperienced. He’s a fabulous horse however on the right rein he will not pick up right canter lead. On the left rein he is fine and will even sometimes land on right canter lead after a jump.

I’m really struggling to get him into the canter lead on the right rein. I’ve tried so many different things; lunging, circles, rein/leg pressure etc.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get the correct lead on the right rein

Thanks!

Does he ever pick up the right lead, in the field etc.? did you have a vetting when you brought him? what did they say about it then?

Does he ever pick up the right lead, in the field etc.? did you have a vetting when you brought him? what did they say about it then?

He picks up right lead in the field and when he’s running around free in the arena. The vetting was fine no leg, back or muscular problems! They said it might be due to he’s young and always galloped on a left hand track.

I'd say back off before you turn it into a problem. He's been trained to canter left and his muscles will be developed around that.

I'd get him checked over by a physio and tell them this problem so they can see if there is any odd muscle development supporting it. Then for a while I'd forget about schooling and get him out hacking in straight lines to ease off any uneven muscle development. When he's ready to go back in the school try to find a trainer who's experienced with retraining racers to work with you both.

I'd teach him to canter the same as any other youngster, slowly and methodically. Lots of transitions before to build balance, lots of work to build flexibility, then hip control to put him on the correct lead. No letting him run into canter at all, using a placing pole if need be.

Did you just get him off the track?
I would let him grow up and get out hacking. If you take him in a field and ask for canter on both reins you will likely get it as more space?

The left handed track is an interesting theory from the vet. Racehorses use both tracks, but they do have preferences.

I know nothing about retraining ex racehorses but I know a man who can help if you are in the Cheshire area -

I know Pietro well and he is an excellent horseman - worth having a chat with him at least. He runs clinics on a regular basis too.

Mention you have been recommended by Chris & Scully :cool:

stop trying. I have an ex racers got him at four as well but he got an injury.

First question is why was he pulled out of raced at four years old?

Does he hack?

Hey, im a bit new to forums so bear with me!!

Im an equine physio and my recommendation is that you have him checked over by your local physio or massage practitioner (check certification and insurance).

If hes given the thumbs up, I can't stress enough how beneficial pole work can be to help them gain better awareness of their legs and build even muscle. raised poles are fab and very beneficial in walk (variety of exercises can be used, see a link to one of my most used exercises here)

Rein back is very good for building up hamstrings correctly and evenly and can be done in hand and ridden. Once you can successfully rein back in a straight and even line the progress this exercise to ask your horse to walk backwards up hill (head facing down hill)

Hope that's some help to you ? Please feel free to ask any questions :D

newrider.com