Everyone please send your get well soon vibes to Honey...

Lonestar

Bluey Manai
Aug 30, 2006
.......*insert crying smilie here*

:(:(

Came home from school and saw the vet leaving our drive, panicking i ran up the drive and saw mum standing over the stable door looking down into Honey's stable - my eyes filling up with tears I shouted to mum "WHATS WRONG????" and I looked into the stable and Honey was laying flat out, at first I thought she was dead and cried buckets of tears, ran into her stable and thought my poor poor baby....

Then she lifted her head and a rush of relief filled my body.
Mum explained that she was laying down constantly all day in the field and when Robbie walks up to her she usually jumps up and walks off - today she just layed there all day apparently, mum managed to get her up and put her in the stable, then she layed back down.
Mum concerned she phoned the vet up and they came out asap - they were there for an hour apparently. Thats when I got home.

Honey has laminitus again :(:(

Please send your get well soon vibes to this wonderful pony as she does not deserve to be in pain. :(

Thanks everyone, Honey is currently in her stable with shavings which come near enough up to my knees (just over 1ft high!!!) Bless her.

I really thought we were free from it this year.. obviously not :(

I had been doing everything, hosing her legs down everytime she came in, before she went out, cut her feed right down, exercised her everyday to keep the blood flow, didnt let her onto the summer paddock, kept her in a couple of hours every day.

What did I miss that made her have it??

Aw I hope honey is better soon :(

Don't blame yourself, you did all you could to prevent it! Sometimes it really is just bad luck.

BIG HUGS HUN!!!!

i dont think it will be your management it may just be that she is very prone!!!

Chin up she'll get better!!! Wee pony down the lane got Lami in end of march just because the grass had so much moisture and it was getting mild.

Keep us posted on her progress!!!

Fingers and Hooves crossed for ya!!!

Nikki and Kiarone xxxxx

Awww, I am so sorry to hear this.

Hope she gets well soon.

Got my fingers crossed for her

xx

Mia-Cavalla, head over to this site

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums

Then have a look for the thread "Farriers helping owners with Laminitis"

Although it's a US site, it has some people from the UK, farriers and owners. They seem to have a decent amount of success with laminitis and they always recommend shoeing specially for laminitis, using X-rays to let the farrier see where the pedal bone is, if it's rotated and how thick the soles are.

Hope Honey picks up soon. So far, I've never had to deal with fullblown laminitis and I hope I never do.

Thanks for that Trixie - Honey has had x-rays but it wasnt clear enough, so will be going back to Cambridge for more on monday. My poor girl.
She is having her shoes pulled off tomorrow, if she can stand up that is.

I just feel so bad because I promised her that I wouldnt let her get into pain again, and its happened :(:(

I'm no expert, but I have noticed that the guys on horseshoes put all their lamimitics onto styrofoam to give limited pain relief. Somewhere on the site there are instructions for doing this. Get over there and have a look - I'll do the same. If I find anything I'll give you the links. If the farrier is coming to pull her shoes tomorrow he may be able to do something to keep her more comfy over the weekend. Is she on bute now?

Sending healing vibes your way. Hope she is ok. I have had to bring mine in for last few days as he was getting pottery, not really put on weight and had laost a fair amount over winter :rolleyes: seems the weather has just been too good for growing at the moment :mad: Mine doesn't wear shoes, it means that I see any signs of soreness really early which helps. Just bought a grazing muzzle so fingers crossed

Frog supports can give a lot of relief - do a search for the laminitis website as they are sold on there.

Sometimes, if they're very prone to laminitis, then just a bit of grass is too much. Some ponies are better turned out in a menage, or dry pen and fed plenty of soaked hay instead of grass.

If you're not sure how to do this, ask your vet to show you how to find, and feel for the digital pulse. An increase in this pulse shows that a laminitis attack is about to happen, (or has already happened), but it's important to know what to look for. If you catch an increase in the pulse early enough, and bring in, then you may be able to catch it early.

I'm sure you are doing everything possible for your pony, but sometimes prevention is the only way.

newrider.com