Event lines

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale's got some very distinctive ones growing out currently. I carefully strip graze him year round so I'm unsure of where these have come from, perhaps some flushes in the grass after the incredibly dry summer we had? Or other things?

Attachments

• IMAG6459.jpg
    IMAG6459.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2019-01-11-09-14-27.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-11-09-14-27.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 18
With that amount of growth that was something that happened 7-9 months ago, it looks like a pretty significant 1 time event, was he sick for a couple of weeks? had vaccinations then? change of feed? could even have been when spring grass came through or an escaping adventure? is it just one foot or all of them?

Reactions: MrA
With that amount of growth that was something that happened 7-9 months ago, it looks like a pretty significant 1 time event, was he sick for a couple of weeks? had vaccinations then? change of feed? could even have been when spring grass came through or an escaping adventure? is it just one foot or all of them?

Oh that's interesting, can vaccinations be a cause! No change of feed and no escaping in summer, he had a new strip of long grass every couple of days but only a small amount

Oh that's interesting, can vaccinations be a cause! No change of feed and no escaping in summer, he had a new strip of long grass every couple of days but only a small amount
You'd see constant ripples right the way up the hoof if it was something that happened all summer, the one clear ring that returns to normal shows a singular event. An event line is showing something gone out of whack that changed horn production, if its just one foot it could be from an abscess or other leg lameness, something localised, if its all 4 it's something that was body wide. Vaccinations are the introduction of an infection to prompt the body to build its own resistance so occasionally they can effect things but its unusual.

I wish I could just pinpoint something, I'll have to note anything big down that happens this year and then can compare if he gets it again

Mine never gets rings. We rotate fields as well and introduce hay.
Is it more to do with workload change/ change of the trim angle?

Out of interest re vaccinations. Don't mean to hi jack but mine was off colour this time round. I am considering dropping the flu off.

Mine never gets rings. We rotate fields as well and introduce hay.
Is it more to do with workload change/ change of the trim angle?
He doesn't have a work load but he is quite active in the field and the ground was solid, perhaps that!

Although as @fourlegs suggested it could be the frost but I don't think the timings quite match up. We are lucky not to have clover in there fields!

Out of interest re vaccinations. Don't mean to hi jack but mine was off colour this time round. I am considering dropping the flu off.
I'm currently doing a report on equine influenza and the strain in the vaccine changes yearly so that might be why this year she had a different reaction.

Personally I wouldn't not get ale vaccinated, it's nasty enough on its own and leaves them open to pneumonia and other bacteria getting into the lungs which can cause lasting damage.

When you say off, how bad was she?

Interesting you say that NF, one of the ponies was quite off colour after his flu jab, so much so his owner had the vet out, apparently when she queried the possible link to the flu jab the vet said they had had quite a few this year who have been off following it, so maybe something in it.

I know you strip graze, so do I. Mine still gets rings but timing is usually when it's more restricted. Like now. I'm strip grazing but they aren't getting as much as 'when it's gone its gone'. So to eek it out they get less but a fresh bit each day, this keeps them happy. In spring early summer then get a strip but it's naturally more nutritious than the strip they get now.

I'm currently doing a report on equine influenza and the strain in the vaccine changes yearly so that might be why this year she had a different reaction.

Personally I wouldn't not get ale vaccinated, it's nasty enough on its own and leaves them open to pneumonia and other bacteria getting into the lungs which can cause lasting damage.

When you say off, how bad was she?
I nearly called the vet because she was lethargic and almost shut down for a good few months.
But her usual happy looking interested in the world face.
Sleepy. Didn't want to do anything. This was August.

Interesting you say that NF, one of the ponies was quite off colour after his flu jab, so much so his owner had the vet out, apparently when she queried the possible link to the flu jab the vet said they had had quite a few this year who have been off following it, so maybe something in it.
Yes that's the link I made. She'd been fine with the heatwave up until the jab. She didn't pick up afterwards.

newrider.com