evading the bit advice needed

shadowfax1967

Aug 29, 2008
south wales
My 14.2 cob x mare is rode in a kimblewick with curb chain, the problem i have is that when she is in canter she puts her head right down to evade the bit and is very strong i dont want to change her bit as she is used to this and i dont think this is the answer.

she only does it in canter but i have noticed lately that if you go to circle her she will sometimes open her mouth and the bit will pull through, she is rode in an ordinary noseband.:D
any advice please!!!

She does listen to leg aids quite well but i do know that she has not been schooled at all, so i think schooling is what she needs i was thinking of starting with lunging, transitions, half halts etc to get her focused and listening before i attempt canter work with her

Last edited:
It seems that your horse may well be used to the bit, but not happy with it. I agree that training problems shouldn't be addressed with a change of bit, but it seems she might be uncomfortable with what she has. Perhaps it's not the right size for her, she needs her teeth done, due to your 'hands' or holes in her training it's too harsh for her? Perhaps she has a general problem with bits - you can read more about possibilities & alternatives on Dr Cook's site. Perhaps also it's a problem with saddle fit or such that manifests as resistance to the bit.

I always train a horse to yield to pressure reliably in a halter or other bitless before moving to a bit if/when wanted, so it can be used gently, for refined communication, rather than using it to control a horse with force. Especially if, as you said, she's never been 'schooled', I'd start on the ground, make sure there are no holes in the foundation, then start teaching her to respond from her back without the bit to begin with. A Kimberwick's not a bad bit as far as they go. A double jointed snaffle is also quite mild & generally comfortable for most horses.

I agree with Wundahoss in the main.

Kimblewick's are designed to lower the head, so that may explain why your pony is lowering her head, especially if she's also getting a bit strong and you're using the reins to hold her.

I'd think about doing some reschooling with her as you've suggested, aiming to get her more connected to your seat so that you can use that to hold her rather than rely on the reins. If you can get her more responsive to your seat and leg aids, you should find that the problems when circling also more or less disappear.

My general rule of thumb with mouth issues is to put more leg on, works a treat.

If the bit is pulling through her mouth during circles, then you are using too much inside hand. That is not the fault of the bit or the horse, but the rider! In an ideal world, your horse would circle mainly in response to your outside aids, not the inside.

Strapping the horse's jaw shut will only mask the problem. It is not acceptable to tie children to chairs and gag them in order to make them submissive in class, so why is it deemed ok to do that to horses?

I think you do need a change of bit, but also I would suggest that you find a good instructor local to you and work on your seat, position and use of the aids. It takes lots and lots of practise to develop a good, independent seat and very light hands, and it's something that most of us have to continue to work on throughout our horsey lives! But it's time well spent and I think your horse will thank you for it :)

I think you do need a change of bit,

Agreed! Just because your mare is strong and "used to the bit" it doesn't mean it's the right choice.

It sounds as if she is backing off from the bit and therefore it's uncomfortable for her. Be it backing away from the contact, opening mouth, escaping through the shoulder (what she's doing when you circle) or eventually rearing, they are all classic signs of an unhappy mouth.

Get her teeth checked first and ask the dentist about her mouth and what mouth piece he/she thinks would suit (ie a fleshy/big tongue may suit a ported mouth piece)
There are bit banks where you can try before you buy. A good instructor will also be able to suggest a different bit for you and help you and your horse find the right combination.

Good luck:)

I too had an aversion to changing my mares bit.

I went through the usual physical checks, then I considered my riding. Eventually I got to the stage where I thought a change of bit might be in order, it was my last resort.

It was the best thing I did. My mare changed from the moment we stepped out of the yard.

In short, don't rule out a change of bit just in case that's the answer. Don't also fall into the trap of thinking a change of bit means a 'harsher' bit ;)

Generally problems "in front" are actually problems behind. If your horse is going low in front they aren't using their quarters and back properly. A good instructor should be able to help with this, but in the mean time see if you can ride the horse up with your leg, rather than using the hands.

Changing to a snaffle might help, but the leg will have to back it up just the same.

thanks for all the advice, i have had her teeth done last week they needed doing but are fine now, and she does have a thick fleshy tonuge, her bit is ported, i have also been told that i may be to heavy in my seat and driving her forward but resisting with my hands.

i have tried her in a snaffle and she was even stronger it was a rubber snaffle she hates anything jointed, any suggegtions on a bit for her but not a harsher one than the kimblewick, and it has to be thin due to her fleshy thick tonuge

Last edited:
myler bits are quite good, they work independantly on each side, ported, slender and although they 'bend' in the middle it's not a severe bend, its a barrell in the middle and it curves to gently rather than a single jointed snaffle.
they can be expensive but most tack shops offer a money back guarantee. worth having a look at if nothing else! sorry i can't offer any other suggestions!

newrider.com