Ethanol injection

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
It was suggested that one could try an ethanol injection into the hock for the lameness. This destroys the tissue and cartilage in the joint and helps fuse the joint.
Anyone had any experience about this process.

I don't know about this but there is also another, though pricey, option called Aquamid. It's non-steroid so safe for metabolic horses and acts to cushion the joints. It's meant to last a lot longer than steroid jabs, but sadly Little Un was pts before I could say whether or not that's true.

Just the name “ethanol” and the fact it is invasive would make me turn and run.

Have you inquired about PRP Therapy? It is completely safe for metabolic horses. The only risk would be infection at the injection site.

Unless a major event happens to force me to spend the money I saved on something else, Joker will be getting PRP for his Low Ringbone.

While it will bring some relief, there is no guarantee how long it will help. The hope is one year.

This is just one of several credible links on the subject:). Cost varies, depending where one lives.

I did a lot of reading into it when Bo's hock went, I (regrettably) went with steroids' but would absolutely consider it for a horse that couldn't have steroids'.
It sounds dramatic, and honestly it is at a microscopic level, its going to do the damage that would be done gently over many months in the field, in a few days, but that means the healing can start all the sooner and pain levels and time off can be managed.
The problem with bute, PRP and steroids' is that by reducing the swelling you actually slow down the fusion which is what you want to happen as it should result in a significant reduction in pain, this does the opposite.

newrider.com