Essential questions to ask when phoning up about a horse

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
So, tonight I may make my first ever phone call to enquire about a horse for sale.

I want to have a list of questions so I can decide if I should go and view. What do you think are the essential questions to ask?

How long have they owned it?

Medical history, is it up to date with vaccs and has it had any medical issues?

What's it like out on the road in heavy traffic?

Does it get on with other horses?

I guess it depends on what your essential criteria are! In addition to ^ ^ is it suitable for your level of experience/confidence, does it live in/out according to your planned home for it. Is it appropriate to ask why they are selling e.g. daughter lost interest --> may not have been ridden for a few months --> is likely to be a fruitloop when tried??

how long have they had it? why are they selling it? this should give you an idea of the seller - if they are uhming and ahing or have one amazing sobstory for you, they're unlikely to be genuine. if you gut says 'how odd!' or 'that's a bit elaborate, i don't even know these people', walk away!

i'd keep questions about medical stuff and what the horse is like for the viewing, to be honest - they can tell you any old b/s over the phone and it's much more difficult to lie to someone's face than over the phone!

Why are they selling.

Are they open to vetting.

Loading, all very well saying good to load, you turn up with a lorry, then find out only loads in a trailer.

How is horse with fencing, know a few very nice horses that are a nightmare to keep in.

The important thing to remember is to fire the questions off quickly - that way, if they stumble with the answer - you'll know they might not be being 100% truthful.

Questions I would ask are:

What kind of ride is he/her? Suitable for a novice?

Does it buck/rear/nap?

Would they say he was bombproof?

What bit do you ride it in? (inevitably folk some folk will always try the snaffle mouth answer as it makes the horse sound like it has a softer mouth and not so strong.

How is he to clip/bath/load/shoe/dental work?

How does he get on with other horses?

If it's a gelding, ask if he's riggish - you don't want him trying to mount all the mares!

Is he a good doer? will he live out all year round, if you need that.

Any issues with sweet itch in the past or other illnesses?

Up to date with worming, vaccinations, has a valid passport in the owners name.

How long has the current owner had him and why are they selling?

and finally...Ask them if they would say he had any vices?

Good luck with finding the right one! and remember don't always go for the one which looks flashy and pretty - quite often with your first horse, that's an easy mistake to make :wink:

How long have they had the horse
Why are they selling
What does price include - tack, rugs etc. If so, when was saddle last fitted
What bit is the horse ridden in & why
What's horse like with farrier, dentist, to load, tack up etc
Is horse shod? Any known probs with feet
Medical history
History of sweet itch
Are jabs up to date
Are teeth up to date
Is horse chipped/freeze marked
Does horse ride okay in traffic
Does horse ride okay in open spaces
What does horse hate/spook/nap at (eg dogs, tractors etc)
History of bucking, rearing or bronching
Does horse prefer schooling or hacking
Live in and/or out
What is horse fed, how much & why
History of weaving, cribbing or windsucking

Depending on age, has the mare foaled previously or when was he gelded

I think that would be about it to start with!

Last edited:
All of the above plus what sort of environment is he kept in atm. Having had a horse that was fab on a busy yard and went a bit doollally tap when he was in a quiet environment and developed seperation anxiety.....

One question I would add is

When was the horse last ridden (schooled/hacked out)

It seems from the horse hunters on here, they get there and the owner says they have not ridden for a while, been turned away etc, therefor could prove difficult and maybe you would not go till they have worked the horse for a little while:smoke:

Lol, when I first skim read this post's title, I thought it said "Questions to ask when phoning a horse up"! heheehe. All of the above btw. Somebody on here gave me some very sage advice though, and it worked. When you actually do go to view potential horses, after you've asked your initial questions - keep quiet. People with something to hide generally give much away without realising it! Say the minimum and let the info come to you......

newrider.com