Equine nappy rash (picture)

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Noticed this this morning very fresh so image he has chewed/ scratched it last night. It's up between his back legs. Given it all a good wash and clean and applied cream. I assume it's going to be fungal due to the warm spell we have just had but will have another wash later and see it I can find any more scabbing. I've checked all his legs etc no mud fever and he picked up his feet fine this morning which is usually my first indication that something is wrong.

IMG_20220205_075943.jpg

Sorry should have said it looks very red raw but looks alot better after a clean up. Hopefully the cream will soothe it a little although didn't seem at all sore this morning. Will obviously ring vet if I'm not sure later or any worsening

I would guess the same as you, it being from the unseasonably warm weather, probably got a bit sweaty under there then fungal/bacterial skank set in. Jess sometimes gets sore there if she’s had poo juice run down there, it almost scalds.
I’d probably clip it, or trim with scissors and wash with hibbi, leave the suds on for 15 minutes before rinsing well, as you would with rain scald, then just keep clean and dry.

Thanks both of you. I took off as much as I could with scissors this morning and will try again later, if I find anymore scabbing will try and borrow some clippers to give it a proper trim.

Reactions: Jessey
That area is looking alot less sore tonight, much more pink and no new blood so he's clearly left it alone. He has got a very slightly swollen sheath on that side though and it does feel a bit warm so may well be a vet call/ visit in the morning, he's still happy me touching it all so just fingers crossed as the sheath bit is a worry!

That area is looking alot less sore tonight, much more pink and no new blood so he's clearly left it alone. He has got a very slightly swollen sheath on that side though and it does feel a bit warm so may well be a vet call/ visit in the morning, he's still happy me touching it all so just fingers crossed as the sheath bit is a worry!
Good it’s better, but I think I’d be giving the sheath a thorough clean just in case there’s something going on in there.

Good it’s better, but I think I’d be giving the sheath a thorough clean just in case there’s something going on in there.
I did try and give it a bit of a clean but he's never good with me poking around so may be a case of having to get vet out and sedate him for a proper check over. Good to know and I may attempt another clean in the morning but wary of over cleaning that area.

I took his temperature and that was normal too.

newrider.com