Equine Metabolic Syndrome / Insulin Resistance... What do you feed etc???

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Just wondering how you manage your neddys with insulin resistance (equine metabolic syndrome) - ie turnout, feeds, supplements, medications...

Just interested to see what people find works?? I have been recommended the simple systems stuff, but I find their distribution system a pain - just want to buy things from feed shop LOL

Low sugar, high fibre is what you need and you can get that from tons of off-the-shelf feeds.

Top Spec Antilam is great - fed in small quantities, contains all the vitamins and minerals you need, high in fibre and very low in sugar. Bailey's Lo Cal is similar and cheaper.

Badminton Easy Rider is a chaff based complete feed which is mollasses and alfalfa free and when fed at the recommended quantity provides all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Dodson and Horrell Safe and Sound is similar but contains alfalfa, as do Happy Hoof and Healthy Hooves (I know there are others but I can't think of them right now :unsure: )

If you're happy to add a powdered vitamin and mineral supplement, you could feed Hi Fi Lite, Speedibeet, Fibrebeet or other similar high fibre feeds.

I'd recommend adding magnesium and Metformin is often prescribed by the vets for confirmed EMS cases.

The Metabolic Horse website is an amazing hive of information regarding metabolic conditions - check out the files link for loads of useful pages: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheMetabolicHorse/

PFB I'm feeding Ben the Mollichaff Donkey which is a complete feed , he likes it & it's only 7.25 DG so shouldn't put weight on.Just add the magnesium & the slippery elm for his stomach & 'tis done.

There is no analysis for it on the website??

I was looking at the Molichaff hi fibre - its molasses free and has mint as a flavour - bought the Apple as all feed place had, and thought it would be ok because I had looked at energy (one of lowest energy wise) but just seen how high sugars are - 17%!!!!! No wonder my two were scoffing it like sweeties!!!!!!

I have my hay tested so I know how much sugar I am dealing with then I soak hay to get rid of sugar. For feed I use Speedibeet & Happy hoof, to put meds in. I give Vitex, magnesium, formula4feet & cinnamon.

Amount of grass allowed depends on various factors ie growth rate & weather conditions. Both are very well & showing no symptoms.(fingers crossed)

PFB have put their analysis up ,sadly put it on the lami thread in error :redface:.So you'll have to go there,oh & you're right they haven't got it up on there sight yet.

I feed simple system metaslim and Lucie stalks. also cinnamon. all cereal, sugar, addative and preservative free.
soak hay for 30mins to reduce sugar content. mine is turned out 24/7 to allow as much exercise as possible and I use Jamie Jackson's Paradise Paddock method which I swear by. Shes been on it for just over a week and already has lost weight.

Feed metaslim and Lucie Stalks. Soak hay overnight also. Fat pads have completely dissapeared since using metaslim.

I have fed SS in the past, but the cost of having it delivered and the need to soak well in advance was too difficult for me now that I only have 2 ponies.

I feed Speedibeet - with seaweed, rosehip, magnesium, yea-sacc and cinnamon added (which I get from Natural Horse Supplies - they are on Ebay). Just 3 handfuls of Speedibeet in one evening meal. Frayne is kept in most of the time (on a cattle shed/yard combination - concrete flooring) - weighed out hay (about 3 slices per day) and bedded on barley straw, which she does eat. She may go out for 2-3 hours on an old stone track with grass along the sides - but wears her muzzle, and it is not every day.

There is a Himilayan Crystal Salt lick hanging in their shed, which is very popular.

The only treats she has are the Linseed ones from Natural Horse Supplies, or a bit of carrot when loading her.

As much exercise as I can give her. She will happily do a 2-3 hour ride now without her boots (our trimmer says she has rock hard feet and it is obvious how much roadwork she is doing). I will lunge her if I cannot ride. A magazine article this week says that 1-2 hour brisk walking per day is the minimum for Lami-Prone types. I cannot ride every day due to my health, but when I do this will be our minimum ride. Otherwise, 15 minute minimum of lunging or Parelli games (where I will get her breathing hard and slight sweat) is a fun way of getting her moving.

After 3 years of experimenting this is the best system for her. She is the lightest she has ever been, full of energy, wonderful shiny coat and amazing hooves. She is hardly footy at all (always the first sign that all is not right) and it is an easy system to maintain.

I have fed Blue Chip Lamilight etc, but read about avoiding any cereals/alfalfa. Speedibeet with the few powders mixed in is cheap and easy.

Ali xx

Last edited:
newrider.com