Equine Affaire and how to tell a mare from a gelding at a distance

OBpause

Sep 30, 2016
Hi All! This is my first post so please forgive this novice.
I don't own a horse yet but will hopefully be leasing one soon, prior to a purchase. I'm going to the Equine Affaire in W. Springfield, MA in November and hope to learn a lot more about horses there! I've loved them all my life and now that I'm retired can devote time to riding. I've taken a few lessons and worked at a few barns, cleaning stalls and grooming. Just love those horses!
Question, can you please tell me how to tell a mare from a gelding from a distance? The previous answer didn't really help me. Thanks everyone!

Hi Welcome to NR :D The best way to tell is side on, just in front of the back legs the boys have a buldge hanging from their belly (the sheath)...that's where their manhood hides :p what that won't tell you is if it a gelding (Neutered male) or a stallion (not neutered), for that you have to get somewhat more close and personal as those babies hide in between their back legs :p hope that helps :D

Personally unless I can get a clear side on with the back leg a little back, I can't tell a mare from a gelding at a distance! :oops:

newrider.com