Entered for ridden showing. Not sure if I should pull out.

Wings

Nov 3, 2005
Next weekend, we have a show at our yard. You can enter lots of things, like several showing, jumping and dressage classes. I've never been to any shows at all, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I have entered dressage (prelim) and prettiest mare. Not worried about those. But for some reason, I have also entered the mixed breeds ridden showing class. I am wondering now if I should pull out of that one. I have only ever seen a show once, and all the horses looked very posh, great tack, great horses etc. I am worried I will make a fool of myself. I don't know how we'll hold up against all the posh warmbloods at the yard. I don't know how well we will ride in that setting, never done anything like it before. Misty is not the typical showing horse (quite fat 14.3 Appaloosa), I don't have the right tack, I don't have a tweed jacket etc.

If it's all done in good fun, I don't mind having a go. But I am worried everyone will be really serious. What are these shows usually like? It is just people on our yard (pretty big yard, about 50 horses or so, lots of them are quite posh). We are having proper judges.

Maybe I should pull out of the ridden showing, and just do the dressage and prettiest mare...

Has anyone ever done a show like this? Can you just enter and have some fun, without any proper 'training' or the right tack/outfit?

Go along ready to compete - can you borrow a tweed jacket??

Then if it turns out ot be serious, just tell the ring stweard you won't be going into the ring.

Don't worry - everyone feels like this before a show - it's part of the game!!

Thanks guys. Not really sure what to do yet. I may pull out on the day, or just do it to get some experience in showing.

It doesnt matter if its your first show. Never have i seen someone enter their first show in gleaming attire on a gleaming 'posh' horse. It's all experience. So what if you dont look like the others? As long as you're right for the class there'll be no problem and you're only having a go. I would go for it, but if you're really not comfortable dont let others pressure you into it.

Jenny xx

DON'T YOU DARE PULL OUT OF THE CLASS! Get in there and give em a run for their money young lady! Now I shouted at you just go and show the others that you can do it, so what if you haven't got the top of the range everything. We all started somewhere, I started in borrowed showing kit, andit never put me off 'playing with the big guns'! So go on be a devil go and have some fun!

newrider.com