Enrichment ideas

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Yes ideally she should be out grazing but whoops she did it again:(:oops:her tendon is sore obviously so no maze or small paddock, I want her to have a full two days on the yard where I can keep a beady on her and she can have some movement but no running. She is also less likely to muck about - I know this from past experience, it's a tried and tested formula. Her friends will be within close proximity for mutual grooming (this would be Zi not Chloe:rolleyes:) and she'll have nets hanging. But what else can I do to keep her from being bored and cheesed off??? Two days might not seem long - but it might turn out to be longer. I'm booking the vet for scans for later on in the week - and she may say keep her on the yard. So I'm picking brains on this - the more ideas the better. What revolving licks are any good? I bought a tub one but nobody will touch it:rolleyes:

Treat ball (depending how much you want her to move obviously)
Apple bobbing
Plaited leadrope with carrots, grass, hay/haylage etc wedged in.
Horse ice pops. Make in a bucket, add fruit, herbs etc, mint in the water you freeze it in.
Grass/hay blocks
Mix carrots, turnip, whatever fruit/veg she likes, grass, through her haynet.
Branches with leaves if you have any hung around.
Self select buckets with salt, differing herbs etc dotted around the yard.

Wasn't finished!
Sorry she has had a set back and I hope the scan goes well later in the week. She likes to keep you on your toes or be even more pampered than usual :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I got an old football, a small holed haynet and put the football in the net, and hung it from the rafters, and laced carrots through the net. Flipo’s number one absolute favourite toy while he was on boxrest, only seconded by his treat ball.
Yes not great for laminitics or the like but flipo was not eating too well when he was on boxrest so we got away with it.
Hope she’s ok, not fun to deal with and just makes you worry!

Sorry to hear she's injured again :(

Pete loves his hay ball & it helps hay last longer.

A selection of herbs always goes down well & at time of year they are everywhere!

A radio on can help too :)

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned, but just wanted to say sorry she's gone and hurt herself again, healing vibes coming your way for Storm and hugs for you x

If you have any trees (I think they're in short supply where you are) then a few branches tied up provide hours of fun.

Hehee yes, I could go and liberate some from the woods nearby - I'm sure the council would understand if I told them why I was taking them:p:D(actually, I think it's privately owned and people can go and get a tree "fix" at the owners generosity)
I do miss the hawthorns. They were a great source of amusment for her at times like this.

Aw no poor storm :( apple bobbing was bo's favourite, jess likes branches/browse. Hank likes a lettuce :) if she's the enquisitive sort, a feed sack with a handful of nuts in, screwed up so she has to work to unravel it. A milk carton with a few stones in hung up so they can rattle it really amuses some. Hope she's feeling better soon x

I've got the vet coming first thing tomorrow with the scanner. There is a huge part of me trying to come to terms with bad news:(
I'm trying to stay positive but I have the most dreadful feeling she has damaged the other leg again. In which case we are stuffed. Any spare nr vibes so much appreciated.

newrider.com