Embarrassing riding incidents

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Slightly mortified - hacked at lunchtime, went to dismount, and sort of left my leg behind as I got off! I was left hanging in a really undignified manner off my poor horse. I have NEVER done that before! I put it down to being really stiff as for various reasons I've been riding twice a day this week. I am not used to it! But aaaargh! Quick- share some of your mortifying stories to make me feel better. ;)

Heheeeee:yellowcarded:
Well after my first ride in 20 years I had to get OH to "catch" me as I dismounted! I was so stiff and for some reason got a mental block about getting off!

My first time off the leadrein lasted about 2 seconds, pony put its head down to eat grass and I flew off. Must remeber not to hold the reins so tight haha.

When I was jumping and horse stopped halfway over a jump, front legs one side back legs the other and I very slowly slithered off.

When I was out hacking on ale and he decided to take me into the middle of a bush and we got stuck there!

:yellowcarded:

When my jodhpurs split up the middle! Luckily I had pants on otherwise it would have been an even worse sight than it was.

Luckily I had pants on

You say that as if you don't wear pants too often :redcarded: :giggle:

I've had some stupid falls but the most embarrassing horsey-related incident has to be when a big Clydesdale bit me on the boob (yes it was very painful!). I had horsey teeth marks on my boob. I was a teenager and still living at home and my mum caught sight of a bit of it and asked what on earth I'd been doing. I don't know if she believed me or not!:tongue:

I was offered to ride my neighbours big stunning dressage horse, I got my leg stuck on the cantle of her saddle getting off and landed in a heap.

A few weeks ago I tried to get on my mare from the fence, she didn't want to stand right next to it so I took a flying leap, totally missed, slapped on her side and flopped to the floor, it's bad when you fall off before you even get on.

One friend, in a western competition some how managed to catch her bra on the horn, removing it and half her shirt in one foul swoop.

Another friend again in western, went to get off and got the belt part of her chaps stuck on the horn, had to be removed from her horse by onlookers as she was just hanging there stuck.

It's happens to the best of us at some point :giggle:

You say that as if you don't wear pants too often :redcarded: :giggle:

I've had some stupid falls but the most embarrassing horsey-related incident has to be when a big Clydesdale bit me on the boob (yes it was very painful!). I had horsey teeth marks on my boob. I was a teenager and still living at home and my mum caught sight of a bit of it and asked what on earth I'd been doing. I don't know if she believed me or not!:tongue:

Hahaaaaa - oh dear....:redcarded:

I was offered to ride my neighbours big stunning dressage horse, I got my leg stuck on the cantle of her saddle getting off and landed in a heap.

A few weeks ago I tried to get on my mare from the fence, she didn't want to stand right next to it so I took a flying leap, totally missed, slapped on her side and flopped to the floor, it's bad when you fall off before you even get on.

One friend, in a western competition some how managed to catch her bra on the horn, removing it and half her shirt in one foul swoop.

Another friend again in western, went to get off and got the belt part of her chaps stuck on the horn, had to be removed from her horse by onlookers as she was just hanging there stuck.

It's happens to the best of us at some point :giggle:

So glad it's not just me! I did once get caught on a branch by the neck of my top while hacking (on my own! The one time I ever did) through a wood, and pulled off my horse. Luckily she didn't go out from under me otherwise I could be hanging there still.....

Last summer after having a break from riding due to having Sophie I had only been back hacking a few weeks and I was chatting away not looking and I got smacked in the face by a branch and pulled off the back of Moët into a heap on the floor, losing my glasses in the process!!! So utterly embarrassing but I couldn't stop laughing for days!!

I did gallop into a tree branch once when out hacking with Maria from here and her friend. I had nowhere else to steer Rubic as there was a horse to the one side and a tree trunk to the other and there was no way I would have slowed down in time. I didn't know what else to do. I yelled out "TREE!" and got smacked in the face! Had a lovely graze on my face right before I started a new job.

Haha, well done squidsin!
My favourite is jumping off and your knees caving in and ending up in a heap under your horse.
Either that, or my favourite - farting while mid mount and flipo spooking and me ending up in a bed of nettles. thankfully no one about!

:bounce::bounce:

I won't give too much detail about my most embarrassing incident, but it involved white jodhpurs (at a show) and "time of the month" arriving early :help: Never been more humiliated in my life :cry: Give me an embarrassing fall any day!

I won't give too much detail about my most embarrassing incident, but it involved white jodhpurs (at a show) and "time of the month" arriving early :help: Never been more humiliated in my life :cry: Give me an embarrassing fall any day!

The same thing happened to me when I was 15 and it was my very first and I was jumping at a show and couldn't back out of the classes as a lovely old boy owned the horses we backed and competed and then sold them on. I couldn't possibly have admitted to him that there was an issue, although he was a farmer, but I am sure people thought I couldn't ride at all, as I tried to keep my backside in the saddle at all times during the class!!! I was very lucky in that a much older lady from the yard was with us at the time and sorted me out, or it could have been horrendous!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

My most embarrassing is probably when I was about 12 and had borrowed a little grey 13hh Connie for the summer - trotting eagerly around the field - pony turned trotting downhill - I slid gracefully off the shoulder, no balance at all!

OMG poor you! Happened to me before my first school disco when I was 14. Nobody saw except my Dad but nooooooooooooooo!

I was out hunting one day and fell off into a barbed wire fence. Ripped a hole not only in my jodhpurs, but in my pants AND my arse! Blood all down one bumcheek and I didn't even notice for half an hour!! :sluggish:

newrider.com