Embarrassing question!

I know what you went through! It happened to me when we did a lot of sitting trot about a year ago so now I really sit in my sitting trot and make sure i don't hurt my bits!

Fork seat

I also have this problem (was glad it wasn't just me!). I do think its because I tend to over arch my back and tip forwards into a fork seat, but don't seem to be able to stop doing it. Have tried the suggestion about sitting on jeans pockets but it doesn't seem to help. Any more tips?

Being a bloke it's even worse, I rode a 17 hand something on holiday at llandudno couple of years ago, the horse was brilliant but the saddle was dreadful for me, good job the ride was only a half hour, although we did ride out the next day as well, sssssssssssssssssssssswwwwwwwwwwwww, sometimes get a bit sqaushed in my treeless saddle as you sit deep if bugerlugs stops dead to scratch his nose, not quite so easy to pad things in my department as in my jods it might look like am pleased to see everyone all the time :D

Ive bought padded knickers - they feel like a nappy :p but I'll let you know how they go.
Robinsons (www.robinsons-uk.com) had some jodphurs recently, now that I think about it, that might help. They were fleece lined (nice for winter!) endurance jods, and said they were 'padded in all the right places'. Pretty cheap too - were on offer. I'll check the site for you and see if they're in - might be worth a shot (and if they work let me know :p)?

xxx

Hoofhearted - sounds a little like you're in the same boat as me :eek::rolleyes:

I've had a couple of private lessons recently and they've really helped - to start with we found out that I physically couldn't sit in a good position in halt, let alone walk or trot. If I managed to sit on my seat bones, my feet were round the horse's shoulders - just due to stiff hips. So I've been doing lots of round the worlds, and lots of stuff in walk, focussing on keeping my seat right. My legs have gradually been improving, but it's been bugging me so I went to see the physio - basically my back is hypermobile while my hips aren't - so I can sit with my heels under my hips under my shoulders, but only by tipping onto my crotch and over arching my back. But because that's what my muscles are used to, I can't just change it, even though I know what the problem is. But I'm working on it - and private lessons are good as you get all the attention and all the nagging :eek::D

Here we go!

Endurance Jodhpurs
Especially designed for endurance or anyone who spends long hours in the saddle. The padded seat gives extra comfort in the crotch and leg area that makes contact with the saddle. Elastic grippers on the ankle area helps stop jods rising up.
Prices start from £22.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features
Padded Crotch
Elastic Ankle Grippers
Elasticated Waist

Specifications
Polyester/Elastane/Spandex Mix

23907-01.jpg

In relation to what Tangle said maybe some Pilates would help if your hips are tight - being able to sit right on your bum is something Im working on at the moment - Im far too stiff for my age :eek: !

xxx

JOJOBA said:
Im far too stiff for my age :eek: !
Exactly :eek:. I'm back to the physio this Thursday to be chucked in the pool - and I've got to get an exercise ball so I can have instruction on it. Actually, must go and do my exercises or I'll be in trouble..... :p

Being as I wear ladies jods :eek: because all the mens one are one colour and HORRIBLE :( , maybe I could try the endurance ones, I will have to wait a while now as the french sticky bums I bought last week cost me £45.00 and missis might not like me buying another pair so soon, the sticky bits around the bum and inside legs do seem to work well to stop slipping around in the saddle :)

padded cycle shorts underneath jods have literally saved my ass on long hacks before (I have the same problem, although it is getting better over time) - might be worth a try as can be worn with any jods? Also make sure underwear has no, erm, inconvienient seams ;)

aj xx

I know exactly how you feel.

Ive been told im sitting on my F***y (instructors words not mine) and I have to tuck my bum in!!

When I do it I must admit things do feel much smoother. Its really good to have things explained in a descriptive way it tends to sink in better (It does with me anyway!)

Last edited:
Pedantic - have you not tried Robinsons for mens jods???! OH gets all his front there, he usually struggles, but they do their own brand £16 a bargain and he loves them. :D ps, found that very funny on your other thread reply - about looking like you're pleased to see them all the time :D :p !!!

Reactions: Huggy
Men in Jods!!!

Sorry so say it fellas, but men do look funny in tight breeches. Reminds me a bit of Robin Hood:Men in Tights!!!

But then, I also look pretty rubbish in the numerous pairs of expensive high waisted breeches that I have bought! Oh to be a tall supermodel.

Anyway, I had a Prix st. George dressage rider competing my horse earlier this year while I finished University and he said that he would only choose certain makes of breeches- Pikeur or Cavallo in the men's rage because they have pleats at the front which leave room for adjustment of the other leg. It is true, he does not look bad in his breeches. Also, apparently if you are sitting correctly, you should not squash your wedding t***le.

Oh yeah, try being a man! Sitting properly is fine for your important parts, but in all honesty, if you're not wearing supportive underwear - you know about it!

Also, needs to be longish in the leg - reach mid thighs - otherwise it all bunches up either side in your groin and that hurts I can tell you.

Jumping is a different story though - its all in the timing. Fold to soon or too late and you spend the remainder of the lesson as Mickey Mouse!

I honestly thought women had no trouble with riding and genetalia! There is nothing there to get in the way! Learn something new everyday.

I had this issue and renamed ‘cantering ‘ something very rude ...I bought the padded equi pants boy shorts medium padded resolved the fear I personally think we all have varying pubic bone position for our ‘fanny’ as such and mine is sitting high on mine and kept hitting the ridge / front of saddle

some horses are also more comfy than others, Buddy is narrow and has a jolty trot not the smoothest. I use padded knickers which helps a little.

I had this issue and renamed ‘cantering ‘ something very rude ...I bought the padded equi pants boy shorts medium padded resolved the fear I personally think we all have varying pubic bone position for our ‘fanny’ as such and mine is sitting high on mine and kept hitting the ridge / front of saddle
I had to think about cantering for a moment and then choked on my coffee! I don't suffer too much on my thorowgood - nice and soft, Especially on my big fat armchair aka Hogan!

Oh yeah, try being a man! Sitting properly is fine for your important parts, but in all honesty, if you're not wearing supportive underwear - you know about it!

Also, needs to be longish in the leg - reach mid thighs - otherwise it all bunches up either side in your groin and that hurts I can tell you.

Jumping is a different story though - its all in the timing. Fold to soon or too late and you spend the remainder of the lesson as Mickey Mouse!

I honestly thought women had no trouble with riding and genetalia! There is nothing there to get in the way! Learn something new everyday.
I am learning things on this forum that have never entered my narrow spectrum before lol!

newrider.com