Elsa

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
I had the sad news today that Elsa has died. She was a riding school horse that I had on loan for many years. She was quirky, but the only horse I felt confidant on to hack alone, even if I did come back cantering sideways one frosty Christmas Day. I loved her to bits. She became a RDA stalwart, and I occasionally rode her side saddle.
I gave up the loan when I had the opportunity to buy Grace, and I could not afford both. But she stayed on the yard as a school horse, and someone else took her on loan soon afterwards, so I saw her nearly every day anyway, until we moved away. A few years ago she was retired from the riding school and went to live on a private yard with the person who loaned her after me. She was loved, treasured and pampered to the end of her days. Nevertheless, I am very tearful today.
The photo is of us looking smug after doing well at a best turned out class at the yard, about 20 years ago!

Attachments

• 2EAFD2D5-08BB-4858-A792-93D6171B7F59.jpeg
    2EAFD2D5-08BB-4858-A792-93D6171B7F59.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 16
She was a lucky girl to be kept in retirement and not turfed out when not rideable. How old would she have been? It's always very sad, I have a few horses in my memory bank that i wish i knew what happened to them.

Reactions: Sparky Lily
She was a lucky girl to be kept in retirement and not turfed out when not rideable. How old would she have been? It's always very sad, I have a few horses in my memory bank that i wish i knew what happened to them.
No horse from this yard is ever turfed out. Their workload, which is never particularly heavy, is adjusted as they get older. Some go to known, reliable homes for light hacking or as companions. If that is not suitable, they are pts.
I can remember Elsa coming to the yard as a 4 year old, around about the time we bought our first horse in 1997, so she would have been about 27, give or take a year as I cannot remember exactly when she arrived.

• Love
Reactions: carthorse
I'm so sorry for you, though it sounds like she had an amazing life. What a beautiful photo of you both, how good to see a horse of her type in such fantastic condition rather than grossly overweight. The school sounds wonderful, I wish they were all like that.

Sleep tight Elsa, it sounds like you were loved by so many people and will be remembered with much love as well as tears xx

Reactions: Sparky Lily
So sorry - you obviously had a lovely bond with her. But good that you always knew she was loved and looked after. Hugs.

newrider.com