Elephant Grass - Bedding advice

rosieg

Oct 11, 2009
Hi - I'm a new member, well an old one really, 51. Was very experienced and used to work with horses in my teens, but now riding and helping care, advise them again after 15 years on a lovely 16 hh horse for a neighbour whose daughter is now at uni. They know nothing about horses and I am very rusty.

He has had a slight dust allergy and we are looking for an eco bedding that would suit, but there is poor drainage in his stable. Someone mention elephant grass - does anyone know about that or suggest anything else that may do. We are going to clip him this weekend so likely to keep him in at night once it really starts to chill off. I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks, Rosie

Hi Rosie
Welcome to Nr!
Im afraid I dont have any real advice, but I used elephant grass last year for my horse, and it looked lovely, and very dry on top but even though I follwed the instructions on bag, every morning my horses stable rug was soaking wet where he had been lying, so it wasnt absorbing his wee :confused:
There are probably lots of people who find it great but it wasnt for us.
How about dust extracted shaings? Or there is another one I saw in feed shop the other day but cant remember the name, it comes in a bag, and you add water to it.
Sorry I cant be any more help.
sarah x

Hey thanks for that, it is really helpful. Don't want to go up this route if it's going to be no good. We currently use shavings but were looking for something a bit more bio degradeable I guess, and relatively low cost - if there is such a thing.

Do you know anything about horses with enormous tongues - and different bits?

Rosie

A good friend of mine who had previously used flax, and loved it, changed to Elephant grass because of the cost but has found exactly the same problem as Sarah. She has told me that she's not getting any more in next time and might try wood pellets instead.

newrider.com