Electric fencing - wire version

Quanah does, sometimes - not intentionally but accidentally while escaping from his pasture into the mares' pasture. He did this quite a bit until we gave up and just started turning him out with his harem:rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not a big fan of wire as both my horses have suffered leg injuries this year from getting cut on wire.

I lived on a farm and it all electric fencing.
It fine and work grand with my horse.
I dont know how she knew to keep away from the wire fence maybe she can sense or feel the electric current and so keep her distance.
Her colt is learning her behaviour and when they galloped around the field they stay away from the fence.
But sometime she would stop suddenly from a gallop to a sliding halt near the fence, I think she get a kick of thrill doing that.
mad mare! :D

Yesterday she was standing too close to the fence while i was grooming her and I push her away from the wire.
Today my little cousin he's 5, visited today with his father and their dog. he was standing watching the horses and suddenly grab hold the wire.
I yelled to stop that he will get electric shock.
He just grinned at me and shook the wire.
It was off so my mare knew that yesterday and I didnt have a clue whether it was on or off.

Last edited:
I use electric braid, works fine, even for my big plods and naughty minis :p

I would never use electric wire, I've had bad experiences with wire, but I really like the braid, and I think it's about the same price, the braid might be a touch more expensive.

Where we are it just rusts through and breaks. At lest with they nylon carrier it stays up.

Please, please don't use wire! Our livery yard has electric wire fences and every now and then the current goes down. A mare in our barn almost lost her foot when she backed into it, broke it and got the wire wrapped around her. She was on box rest for three months and has just started being turned out again. It is the only down side with our livery yard, and I worry every time I turn my horse out but fortunately, our field is post and rail with the wire only around the top rail. Several people have approached the yard owner to request something more suitable for horses, as apparently the wire is designed for sheep and the like. I've seen several with injuries from the wire, and my friend's TB (who didn't turn out well initially) has gone through the wire twice at top speed when the current has shorted out.

horses cant see the wire as well as they can the tape, I use the rope along the top rail of post and rail but other than that tape, a friends horse caught his leg in rope when it was lower down as he backed into the fence, it cut his leg, could have been very nasty, it sliced into the connectors which were plastic really badly so just imagine what it could have done to his leg. at least rope has a certain breaking strain, the hard wire wont snap

I don't like or use the wire. I am not sure that horses can actually see it--and if they are pelting about-they can get too close to stop or swerve before they HEAR it, to do anything constructive about it.

IMO any electric fencing is dangerous if it is NOT fired up, although there are people here on the yard who don't agree with me. Luckily I could afford to go and buy me a unit to fire it all up and one of my 'field mates' has just bought a new battery for it, bless him.

The 'wider the better' tape for me and mine.

newrider.com