Electric Fencing gurus?

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
I need to fence off a small paddock for my horse as he needs to lose weight.

I have never used electric fencing before so am basically clueless, please can somebody list all the items I need to purchase?

I know I need:

a battery (i'll be using a dry battery)
plastic fence posts (ill have 20)
energiser
fence tape
warning sign
plastic gate handle

:help:

If its only a small area why don't you use the energiser that are powered by 2 D cell batteries. I only tend to use an energiser with large leisure battery for bigger spaces. I would also recommend rope instead of tape as it doesn't flap around in the wind. Use 4ft posts instead of 3ft posts but again this would depend on the size of the horse you are trying to keep in.

Think that's it! Not used fencing off a battery before only mains though.

I do love putting up fencing though!

So do I!!! How weird are we...love mooching about doing a bit of fence re-arranging...always turn down offers of help..dont want to share the pleasure with anyone!:redface::giggle:

So do I!!! How weird are we...love mooching about doing a bit of fence re-arranging...always turn down offers of help..dont want to share the pleasure with anyone!:redface::giggle:

Come and sort mine!! (see the it was all going so well post!!)

Yes Danni, I read that and thought what a nightmare! Hope shes better soon.

Contrasna and Shockblue, fancy bobbing to Cheshire to sort mine out? :biggrin:

Innonence - It was a choice between the shrike energiser http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Hotline_Shrike_Energiser.html and the Coral dry battery and energiser. The shrike will be easier to use.

My horse is 14'3 and doesnt do jumping so the smaller posts should keep him in and good point about the rope vs tape. Thanks!

I agree rope is much better than tape for standing up to wind.

The small battery chargers are ok, but mine eats a pair of D batteries in just over a week :eek: its not a massive run either - a double strand dividing one smallish field., with nothing shorting it out.

I like to tie the first and last plastic pole to a post/tree at either end, with baler twine - it means I can pull the rope tighter inbetween.

Cortrasna and Shockblue - maybe you can pop across here alternate weeks to sort my fencing out once you have done Laura's and Dannii's? :giggle: I HATE faffing on with fencing, with a vengence:devil:

Don't mind putting up, hate takin it down and trying to store it tidy.

I too use twine to tie posts.

Make sure energiser is powerful enough for horses too :)

I have so much electric fencing in my paddock think maybe OH at least might class as a guru lol.I have paddocks,track systems,spring gates,schooling area,you name it I have probably done it lol.I also have fat pony so feel your pain,have you thought about a track system rather than a paddock,keeps them moving more I find.

Anyway to make a paddock I would strongly recommend you use at least a couple of wooden stakes in addition to the plastic posts,if you have any corners you need to have proper posts,plastic ones will not take enough tension to have an effective fence that will cope with wind.If you are going for a circular arrangment I suppose you might get away with it,but especially if you are having a gate way you really need something stronger to tie on to than just plastic posts.If you are using wooden stakes (or maybe tie onto an existing fence is you can't bang in stakes??),then you will also need plastic insulator rings to screw in to the stakes and put tape through.

Other than that I think you have it all on your list.I got me energiser from mole valley for £70,is excellent and I run it off a car battery,cheap as chips and stays up for weeks in between charges,gives a hell of a belt as well:wink:

Don't forget your gate handle will need to connect to the fence in some way,not just hook onto a plastic post,I would get the proper metal gate rings for this (can't think of their proper name but someone else will know I'm sure) and screw into a wooden stake,but can also use tape wrapped around a pole or insulator (I have done this recently on a temporary bit of fencing and works fine),just make sure it's touching for a connection.

Make sure your earth pole is down as far as poss and damp ground is best if you can site it somewhere suitable for that.

Really will shut up now lol,but hope that helped and that your fencing turns out well!!

Come and sort mine!! (see the it was all going so well post!!)

I could have done with you all tonight I have just spent 2 hours putting ours back up after next door bullocks got out and stupid farmhands decided to run them back through our field into theirs :stomp: she hates cows
- all hell let lose, Tess ended up in their field in blind panic - they followed her and ripped all fencing up in process , only managed to keep charlie in by a whisker - the air was blue!:redface:luckily everyone is back where they should be now!no obvious damage on tess just hoping no stiffness in morning.

newrider.com