Electric fencing :D

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I guess its my choice really :):D
Sox is out in a average size field and I am wanting to make the field last but also take into consideration he has had laminitis and there is long grass. We only have half the field as there are two horses in the back half and my YO needs space to get his tractor to the back field to cut for hay. The gate way is about 12 ft I would say. A friend suggested making a corridor so the horses at the back can get out and my YO can get his tractor in. So there would be two fields or sections and I would like to half part if I needed too. Sox is normally very respectful of fencing:D. However there has been a few times ( when he was on pen rest for lami and just on hay) he would go under the 2 lots of fence so I had to put a 3rd line up to keep him in:mad::p. However I am debating about getting a battery and energiser.

Cant decide. Also any places to get decent posts? Tape? A lot of my tape as a number of knots where I ran out and had to tie more which would affect the circuit and also my posts , most of the spikes are bent at various angles!

Farmcare UK are my normal go to people for leccy fence, they do great deals on complete kits too. I personally prefer twine to tape as it gets in less of a tangle :)

I bought my first lot of leccy fencing posts and electric wire from Robinsons at their store in Warrington. Have to say the white rope style leccy has lasted me years, it was only when we landed here last summer I threw some away that had frayed and rusted.
I am guessing there are online stores too but I bought my most recent bundles from a local place. Norty Sox getting under fences lol he doesn't look the type:p

Use eBay for posts they are apx £20 for 20. You can get coloured posts too, pink, orange, blue etc. x

Dunno if you guys have them over there but we have solar powered eletrical units, which are fantastic!! Only about $100 more but then you pay so much more if you're replacing the batteries all the time so well worth it.
Plus I can trick my gelding and have it hooked up and not on and he respects it, but my mare is a smartie and knows if its not hot haha

We use the rope and 3ft posts, most is okay with 2 lines however wherever Acorn might be put we have to have a third lower down, we dare not leave him without electric on - the others are fine without it on and respect it, to avoid the line runs being too long we have one half on one energiser and the other on a second, also have attached a solar panel to each battery so its very rare we have to actually charge them - usually take them off at some point over winter and give a full mains charge boost.

newrider.com