Electric fence posts-bent ends

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
I have loads of plastic electric fence posts with bent metal ends making them unusable (without being very aggravating and wobbly).

In the old days I would have just chucked them and got new ones but in these penny pinching times I am wondering how I can straighten them for efficient re-use.

I have tried resting them on concrete and bashing the living day lights out of them with a hammer to no avail. I think I need to heat them and then bash....I am working on that one.

Any suggestions? I could ask the farrier to do it when he comes, but he is a grumpy old devil at times and will probably charge me lol. Unfortunately, I am past the age when eyelid fluttering did the trick:frown:

The trick is definitely to wedge the point in something and carefully bend the post back into alignment. I use either a piece of handy tubular gate and shove the point into the tube, or a stable door - wedge the point in the gap, and carefully bend the post back holding it close to the 'point end'. Most of our several hundred electric fence posts end up with bent points! I have 'straightening sessions' every now and then.

Strong man + Heavy hammer/mallet = Straight eleccy post metal bits :giggle:

My OH puts them on a concrete floor, hammers away and hey presto good as new :giggle:

newrider.com