Electric fence not working!

S

Shansberry

Hey guys, a few days ago I noticed that the electric fence is not working. It is pluged in but it is not making its normal ticking sound and the red light is not on. So my question is could a really bad storm that we just had kill the electric fence? (This storm was so bad it took out our internet, and took electricity and utlities from some of our neighbours.)

And my next question is how do I fix my electric fence? will I have to buy a new power box?

If it's not mains then the battery has probably died, mine just has so the horses are just walking through my white tape, am trying to find a (very elusive) rechargable 9V battery :rolleyes:

If it's not the battery then check the earthing connections.

I couldn;t understand it when mine stopped zapping and I'd swapped the batteries over. Turned out the earthing conection had worked loose :rolleyes:

Hey guys, a few days ago I noticed that the electric fence is not working. It is pluged in but it is not making its normal ticking sound and the red light is not on. So my question is could a really bad storm that we just had kill the electric fence? (This storm was so bad it took out our internet, and took electricity and utlities from some of our neighbours.)

And my next question is how do I fix my electric fence? will I have to buy a new power box?

If it is mains powered get someone who understands electricty to check the power supply and wiring is ok. It is possible that the heavy rain has tripped the earth leakage protection device on the mains supply itself.

In the uk it is law that all external mains powered equipment has such a device fitted to the mains supply. This is to protect you from electrocution should wet wiring start to leak electricity. They are extremely sensitive and very effective.

If the supply is ok and fuses in the plug and on the box itself are ok then the box may be faulty. Check there is not an on/off switch on the box.

Do not meddle with mains electricity unless you know what you are doing.

If it's not mains then the battery has probably died, mine just has so the horses are just walking through my white tape, am trying to find a (very elusive) rechargable 9V battery :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother personally. Rechargables don't last long & also tape isn't very strong anyway, so you need something more reliable for it... particularly if your horses know when it's on or not, as my Houdini does!:rolleyes: If you have a way of 'trickle charging', car batteries can be good tho. From experience & talking to my auto elec, the cheap solar panel rechargers don't cut it tho.

newrider.com