Effective lice treatment

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
Well it seems like Little Miss Bella has gotten herself a few more visitors! I did check her over for lice when we got her and after we bathed her but obviously not well enough.

Can anyone recommend any tried and tested products for lice treatment? I'll do all three ponies incase she's passed them on

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-1355/Switch-Lotion

^^ This, you can get it from the vets as well. It is a spot on treatment (mane and rump) .... Treat 2 weeks later, and then again after 2 weeks (kills off any stragglers and hatchlings)

Also get yourself some Deaosect, dilute accordingly in a plant sprayer bottle and squirt on gate posts/fence posts/stable doors, basically anywhere that has been used as a scrathing post, as they scratch, leave the eggs behind, come back a couple of months later, brush past, eggs get back on and hatch and off you go with it all again. Also make sure any rugs/saddle clothes/headcollars etc are washed good and proper.

The active ingredient in 'Switch' and Deosect is Permethrin ... this kills the lice.

The only Lice power worth using is Battles:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=LOUSEBAT750&Variation=

As this also contains permethrin ... i used the battles powder on the rugs, then put the rugs away in the shed (it`s been nearly a year) .... You have to be careful as you don`t want to over does the horses on Permethrin.

I also bought some cheapy fleece under-rugs .... These rugs came in contact with the horses all throught the spot on treatment, but could be washed too.

Argh lice!!!!
Buzz got lice last year and the only thing I could get to shift them was coopers fly repellent...the super strength stuff which is supposed to last 7 days. Covered him in that. Covered everything else with lice powder and they went :smile:

Lol, I am constantly on the lookout as well B n P as 'Foaly' arrived covered in the stuff............Lice Powder that is........although not actually 'seen' any as yet.

Lady at the tack shop 'wealth of all knowledge' who I bow down to in respect, tells me do them with the powder then do them again a few weeks later.....reckons it works a treat:wink:

Permethrin .. there's a few sprays out there that you can use on cats, dogs and small animals (Pets@home).. 'Johnsons' do a range of insect sprays and bathing liquids..

We use spot on. It's not licensed for horses but the vet recommended it to keep the ponies in the hill, that can speak to the hill ponies, free of little visitors.

He said occasionally you might get a bit of skin reaction at the site you drop it on. But I have never noticed any kind of reaction and been using it for years on lots and lots of ponies. 7.5ml for BIG standard Shetland.

We use spot on. It's not licensed for horses but the vet recommended it to keep the ponies in the hill, that can speak to the hill ponies, free of little visitors.

He said occasionally you might get a bit of skin reaction at the site you drop it on. But I have never noticed any kind of reaction and been using it for years on lots and lots of ponies. 7.5ml for BIG standard Shetland.

I use this too. 5ml for the mini Shet, 7.5ml for the NF and 10ml for the Hipo
Fantastic. Use it on the dogs too although one out of the 15 dogs gets a bald patch from it.

Also use Coopers Fly Repellant but more for flies. One of the ponies is quite sensitive to these sorts of products.

Deosect! Amazing stuff. Although quite strong..and definitely don't get it in your eyes like I did.

My welshie got them two winters in a row some how, probably missed sterelising a rug?? My other boys didn't get any? Deosect had him clear so quickly..and now 2 years down the line not seen one.

So how do you use the spot on, does it go on in one place and how often? Which one do you use?

Spot on is licenced for cattle, but a lot of vets will let you have it for horses.

The 'spot on' designed for horses is called 'Switch', the link is in my post above, you can get it from your vets too.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-1355/Switch-Lotion

You pour it on the base of the mane and the rump/top of tail. It says for control of sweet itch, which it certainly helps with the flies too. The active ingredient is Permethrin, and that is what kills the flies, midges and Lice.

HTH

I find Switch is very light weight. That's why we use Spot on now, never seen a louse since we have been using that.

It used to be a problem with the hill ponies. Anyones mangy creatures in the hill could come and talk to ours over the fence. Spot on seems to keep the lice away.

As Daisysp8 says, you measure out the correct does and pour it at the top of the tail or the base of the mane. I tend to do it on the back end in case they get a reaction. I don;t want the saddle involves and it takes a day or so to soak in and I don't want to be riding and get my hands in it.

newrider.com