Effect of our mental health on dog behaviour?

Zula77

May 25, 2021
To the dog owners of this community! I know how vital the comfort and support of our dogs can be for our mental wellbeing; I'm looking into how our psychological functioning affects our dogs for my MSc, if you're also interested and want to be part of some new and interesting research I'd really appreciate it if you fill in my questionnaire:
The questionnaire
It's entirely anonymous. There's an email address if you want more info or want to know your results. Thanks so much if you decide to do it 😊

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Done, very interesting, thank you. I was going to ask my husband if he would like to complete it but he suffers from depression (under treatment) and I think he might find some of the more direct mental health questions tiresome or upsetting.

Zula77

May 25, 2021
Done, very interesting, thank you. I was going to ask my husband if he would like to complete it but he suffers from depression (under treatment) and I think he might find some of the more direct mental health questions tiresome or upsetting.
Fantastic thank you! No that is totally understandable, it's just there for people who feel able to answer such questions, absolutely no pressure 😊

Lollykay

Feb 11, 2017
United States
I don’t qualify to take this particular survey, BUT. I offer there is a marked difference in our dogs’ behaviors when they are with only me vs when DH is home.

Their behavior is also much different when I run them on our farm vs. when DH does.

I am a fairly laid back and mostly unflappable Type B. I’m the one who silently waits for the noise to come to me”.

DH is a hypertensive Type A. He is the one who will fling the door open and rush outside hollering, lol

While I let the dogs freely inspect fences and such, when I say “let’s get to the barn”, they fall in line. Not so much when DH takes them, although they are much better with him now that the Catahoula/Pit Bull is seven and the Rottweiler is four.

If I left DH in charge of the critters on this farm, we would probably not only have unruly critters but the county sheriff paying us occasional visits.

Bottomline is the dogs and horses both react to my calming actions and DH’s anxiousness:)

Not quite what you are looking for but I thought it might be an interesting sidebar. We are both early 70’s. I am fully retired and, surprise surprise DH still works full time, lollol

My dogs, during hunting season, coming back from checking fences with me. B3187FB0-B54D-47DC-9661-BD432589616F.jpeg

Reactions: Zula77

Zula77

May 25, 2021
I don’t qualify to take this particular survey, BUT. I offer there is a marked difference in our dogs’ behaviors when they are with only me vs when DH is home.

Their behavior is also much different when I run them on our farm vs. when DH does.

I am a fairly laid back and mostly unflappable Type B. I’m the one who silently waits for the noise to come to me”.

DH is a hypertensive Type A. He is the one who will fling the door open and rush outside hollering, lol

While I let the dogs freely inspect fences and such, when I say “let’s get to the barn”, they fall in line. Not so much when DH takes them, although they are much better with him now that the Catahoula/Pit Bull is seven and the Rottweiler is four.

If I left DH in charge of the critters on this farm, we would probably not only have unruly critters but the county sheriff paying us occasional visits.

Bottomline is the dogs and horses both react to my calming actions and DH’s anxiousness:)

Not quite what you are looking for but I thought it might be an interesting sidebar. We are both early 70’s. I am fully retired and, surprise surprise DH still works full time, lollol

My dogs, during hunting season, coming back from checking fences with me. View attachment 106712
Thank you for your comment! That's a really interesting insight and I really appreciate you sharing your experience, with multiple owners our animals definitely pick up on subtle differences in our emotions and behaviour. Great picture of your dogs too 😀