Ed has a swollen, runny eye...

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
On Saturday (I was away for the night) my yard friend noticed that Ed had a swollen right eye that was a little gunky. She bathed it and decided not to worry me, as it didn't look that bad :smile: I went to see him Sunday lunch time and it didn't look too bad (she thought it had gone down a little), so I bathed in salt water.

This morning it's still a little swollen.. probably the bottom lid and there was a little bit of gunk in the corner. I've bathed in salt water again. I am assuming it's a little conjunctivis.

If it's not fully recovered in a day or two I will call the vet. Was thinking I might put his fly mask on later today and keep it on for a few days, to keep the flies away. Would it be work applying some Golden Eye or Optrex (chloramphicol)?

I find optrex worked a treat, but we had it checked previous by vet as he had cut it - its making sure nothing in there thats irritating it or can damage it- the optrex would swill anything fine out - but with eyes if at all worried get the vet.

Ideally if you have a couple of fly masks alternate them as if infection (much the same as glasses) the infection can splash on them and so cycle becomes hard to break (I stick mine in washing machine :))

Hope he feels better soon!

I will apply optrex or golden eye this evening and tomorrow morning. I have two fly masks, so can alternate and wash them. If there's no sign of improvement by later tomorrow, I will call the vet.

Thanks all.

I have used Golden eye for slight irritation, worked a treat.
Didn't tell the lady in the chemist that it was for a pony tho.:wink:

I've used Golden eye on our Joe a few years ago - just remember to bin the tube once you've finished using it, even if there is loads left! Apparently it gets germs in, so not sterile once opened. Hope his eye is better soon!

Thanks... off to the chemist in a bit, when I can get away from my computer :banghead::help:

Ooooh, hadn't thought about not mentioning it to the Pharmacist.. I will keep quiet :giggle:

I think all eye products have to be discarded quickly, such as optrex or sty treatments etc. I'm hoping as it's not too bad, that a bit of Golden Eye might do the trick. But, if not much better by tomorrow, it will be the vet!

Both of ours had that - conjunctivitis! Am dosing with Opticlox from vet. Only 3.60 a tube and works wonders. And dose both eyes, because it is uber contagious, and the don't touch your eyes after touching theirs because we can catch it from them!

Thanks SJP. Just wondering, can you buy Opticlox from the vet, without a visit?

I've continued with bathing with boiled salt water and Golden Eye (morning and night) and I've now put on a fly mask, to keep flies, wind sun off his eye. Must admit it looks slight better today.

I've decided if not much better by end Thursday, I will call the vet, but I have my fingers crossed. Bless him - he's so good at having his eyes bathed and ointment put in - seems to quite like it :wub:

newrider.com